Cross gender identity of King’s Cross Tube victim explained
POLICE have released the first photo of a man who died under a train at King’s Cross tube station on Monday - and explained his second identity as a woman.
Solicitor David Burgess, 63, of Shaftesbury Avenue, central London, was also known as Sonia.
Both his identities were well known to his two adult daughters and adult son, as well as friends and work colleagues. His family, who asked that he be referred to as Sonia, today released a statement saying: “Sonia was a loving and wonderful person and will be missed deeply. We would appreciate being given space to come to terms with our loss.”
Luqmani Thompson and Partners, the law firm in Wood Green where Sonia worked as David Burgess, said: “We are immensely saddened by the death of David Burgess, an enormously talented practitioner, an inspiration to a generation of lawyers practising in this field, and a great friend.
“David’s contribution to legal development is unquestionable but what is sometimes forgotten is that he was a pioneer in setting legal tests and trends in genuinely trailblazing cases.
“This firm has tried hard to live up to the high standards set by David, we would not have been the same firm without his contribution and encouragement; we shall not be the same firm without him.”
Detective Superintendent Ashley Croft, from British transport Police, said:
- 1 Missing: 29-year-old Islington woman found 'safe and well'
- 2 12 stolen phones recovered after stop and search in Hackney
- 3 Appeal hearing of MP Claudia Webbe gets underway
- 4 Gunners pub back open for Premier League climax
- 5 'Wrong place, wrong time': Men convicted after fatal mistaken revenge shooting
- 6 Man accused of sexual assaults in Camden and Islington bailed
- 7 40 firefighters called to scene as Highbury flat damaged
- 8 Jailed: Members of 'sophisticated' drugs crime gang sentenced
- 9 Ex Arsenal player Lee Harper appeals for return of stolen shirt
- 10 Fast food chain Leon launches 80th restaurant in Angel
“We would like to express our condolences to Sonia’s family following this tragedy.
“Family liaison officers are working closely with Sonia’s family, providing them support and assistance during this difficult time.”
British Transport Police can confirm that the person who died at King’s Cross underground station on Monday 25 October was Sonia, also known in her legal name of David Burgess,
Nina Kanagasingham, 34, of Chichele Road, Cricklewood, has been charged with murder.