Crowdfunder for new Mary Wollstonecraft statue launched after controversy surrounds Newington Green piece
- Credit: Archant
A crowdfunder to create a new statue of Mary Wollstonecraft was launched just days after her monument was unveiled on Newington Green.
The campaign is funding artist Martin Jennings’ vision for the monument, which came second to Maggi Hambling’s winning proposal, and needs to raise £154,000.
Hambling’s 10ft silvered bronze-cast piece, A Sculpture for Mary Wollstonecraft, depicts female forms twisting together as one silver mass to hold up a figure of an unidentified, nude “everywoman”.
However, the £143,000 design has drawn criticism from high profile commentators such as journalist Caitlin Moran.
Martin told this paper: “There’s still room for a representational statue of Mary Wollstonecraft.
You may also want to watch:
“Many women have contacted me saying they like the idea of sitting down on the bench with their daughters and teaching them about Mary.
“I would love to make it anywhere between Spitalfields where she was born and Hackney and Camden where she lived and worked.”
- 1 Seventh man charged with murder of Imani Allaway-Muir
- 2 Low Traffic Islington coalition launched to support council's LTN roll-out
- 3 Open spaces, LTNs, vouchers, vaccinations and neonatal care
- 4 Plans to chop down 70-year-old Islington mulberry tree paused
- 5 WATCH: Air ambulance called to Islington flat fire
- 6 'Real disappointment' over uptake of Covid vaccine among care home staff
- 7 Three strikes and you're out: Jail term for drug dealer
- 8 Police force entry to alleged Islington 'house party' amid pandemic
- 9 'This is the end of my political career': Richard Watts stands down
- 10 Over-65s vaccinations begin in England as centre reports lack of patients
The fellow of the Royal Society of Sculptors has created notable statues around the UK, including British-Jamaican nurse Mary Seacole in Lambeth, and Women of Steel commemorating women of Sheffield’s steel industry during World War One and World War Two.