Customers say thank you to retiring Newington Green barber who cut their hairs since the 60s
A barber who has been cutting hair for more than 60 years hung up his scissors – getting a gift from a customer whose hair he’s snipped for 50 of them.
Christoph Christoforou, 74, has worked in Chris’s Barber Shop, Balls Pond Road, Newington Green, since 1959 and bought the place in 1965.
Now he his retiring, has sold the shop on, and Albert Gibson, 77, bought flowers and a bottle of scotch to say thanks for looking after his hair-do for so long.
Mr Christoforou said: “I really appreciated the presents and I want to thank Albert from the bottom of my heart.
“He always used to come in worrying about his hair, but I told him if you still have your hair after 30 you won’t lose it.
You may also want to watch:
“I have seen all the different styles over the years – middle parting, then it was Elvis Presley haircuts, then the mods and the rockers.
“Now I can relax and spend some time gardening – I will miss the chat in the shop though.”
- 1 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 2 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 3 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 6 Islington shooting victim named
- 7 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
- 8 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 9 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 10 Manor Gardens Welfare Trust CEO awarded British Empire Medal
Michael Morgan, also a long-standing customer, said: “He is a lovely man and will be missed – he had a lot of panache and a great way about him.”