Customers say thank you to retiring Newington Green barber who cut their hairs since the 60s
A barber who has been cutting hair for more than 60 years hung up his scissors – getting a gift from a customer whose hair he’s snipped for 50 of them.
Christoph Christoforou, 74, has worked in Chris’s Barber Shop, Balls Pond Road, Newington Green, since 1959 and bought the place in 1965.
Now he his retiring, has sold the shop on, and Albert Gibson, 77, bought flowers and a bottle of scotch to say thanks for looking after his hair-do for so long.
Mr Christoforou said: “I really appreciated the presents and I want to thank Albert from the bottom of my heart.
“He always used to come in worrying about his hair, but I told him if you still have your hair after 30 you won’t lose it.
“I have seen all the different styles over the years – middle parting, then it was Elvis Presley haircuts, then the mods and the rockers.
“Now I can relax and spend some time gardening – I will miss the chat in the shop though.”
- 1 Islington: Cycle track could be back if funding found
- 2 'Graffiti vandal' linked with £500k worth of damage caught in Highbury
- 3 Five arrested for drugs offences after dawn raids
- 4 Knifeman was out on bail when he nearly killed father-of-three on school run
- 5 'Fear, isolation and distress': Pentonville Prison during Covid-19
- 6 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 7 'Robot' prisoner locked up indefinitely for killing Serco custody officer
- 8 WATCH: Sauna fire rips through Old Street leisure centre
- 9 Three jailed after 'horrific' revenge attack on teenage boy near Finsbury Park
- 10 No More Red: Arsenal and Islington campaign against knife crime
Michael Morgan, also a long-standing customer, said: “He is a lovely man and will be missed – he had a lot of panache and a great way about him.”