Customers say thank you to retiring Newington Green barber who cut their hairs since the 60s
A barber who has been cutting hair for more than 60 years hung up his scissors – getting a gift from a customer whose hair he’s snipped for 50 of them.
Christoph Christoforou, 74, has worked in Chris’s Barber Shop, Balls Pond Road, Newington Green, since 1959 and bought the place in 1965.
Now he his retiring, has sold the shop on, and Albert Gibson, 77, bought flowers and a bottle of scotch to say thanks for looking after his hair-do for so long.
Mr Christoforou said: “I really appreciated the presents and I want to thank Albert from the bottom of my heart.
“He always used to come in worrying about his hair, but I told him if you still have your hair after 30 you won’t lose it.
You may also want to watch:
“I have seen all the different styles over the years – middle parting, then it was Elvis Presley haircuts, then the mods and the rockers.
“Now I can relax and spend some time gardening – I will miss the chat in the shop though.”
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 3 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
- 4 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 5 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 6 'I was not jealous': MP Claudia Webbe denies harrasment charge
- 7 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 8 Eidevall says Arsenal put 'pressure on themselves' to deliver in big games
- 9 Islington dog stars in film that will be shown at London Film Festival
- 10 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
Michael Morgan, also a long-standing customer, said: “He is a lovely man and will be missed – he had a lot of panache and a great way about him.”