Dance review: Ballet Revoluci�n at the Peacock Theatre
Cuban troupe dances to hits from Beyonce, Shakira and Ricky Martin in dazzling show
Cuban dance has always been popular in London and this new, spectacular event at the Peacock Theatre does not disappoint.
An explosive production of ballet, contemporary and hip hop fusion, the show is full of the fire of Cuban dance tradition.
Choreographers Aaron Cash and Roclan Gonzalez Chavez have put together a feast of virtuoso dance which mixes dance styles of all kinds to a live soundtrack of great hits.
There is something for everybody here in a show that combines numerous genres – not just ballet. The styles range from classical ballet to salsa and from samba to martial arts.
The the fantastic band give us renditions of hits from Shakira, Ricky Martin and Beyonce, as well as well known acid jazz numbers from icons such as Roy Ayers, but there’s a distinctive Cuban tinge to their take on the contemporary hits.
The choreography may not be innovative and varied enough for ballet aficionados, but it’s a real crowd pleaser.
- 1 Islington pub Alpaca wins lockdown service award
- 2 Family of missing Islington man make urgent appeal for information
- 3 Scandinavian primary school moves to bigger premises in Highbury
- 4 New Covid-19 vaccine centre opens on Holloway Road
- 5 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
- 6 Masks, PCR tests and boosters: New measures to combat Omicron variant
- 7 Meet the Islington-based Rangers fans who are helping food banks
- 8 Not just for Christmas: Rescue dogs looking for forever homes
- 9 Covid-19: How Islington's current figures compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 10 Let's Talk: Campaign launched to tackle Islington inequality
At opening night you could really feel the passion and enjoyment from the dancers, especially on the jazz numbers.
A dazzling, highly enjoyable show – this will make you want to get out there and dance yourself!
* Ballet Revoluci�n is at the Peacock Theatre in Portugal Street, WC2, until May 19.