Daniel Chapman: Body found in Regent’s Canal yesterday identified as missing northerner
- Credit: Northumbria police
The man found dead in Regent’s Canal yesterday has been named as missing man Daniel Chapman by his family.
His mother, Susan Dawson, wrote publicly on Facebook this afternoon: “So sorry to have to tell you all my lovely, wonderful son Daniel Russell Chapman was found on the 3rd March in Camden canal at 10.15 am and has been identified.
“All who met or knew him will know what a great son he was to me and the last thing he said was how much he loved me and I was never to forget that.
“I will hold him in my heart forever, I thank each and everyone who tried to find him. We will bring him home.”
Daniel’s body was spotted by the public at the Battlebridge Basin, near Tiber Gardens, yesterday. Passers-by called police, who pulled the man out of the water a few minutes later.
You may also want to watch:
It comes six months after Italian national Sebastiano Magnanini was found dead in the same stretch of water.
A Northumbria police spokesperson said: “On Thursday, March 3rd, we were informed by the Metropolitan Police that the body of a man matching Daniel’s description was found in a canal in the London area.
- 1 Arsenal Women on cloud nine after big FA Cup win
- 2 Reader letters: Islington's Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - for and against
- 3 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 4 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 5 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 6 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 7 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 8 Islington Council set to save Grade II-listed South Library from disrepair
- 9 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 10 Islington mum speaks out about blaze that wrecked her 17th storey Old Street flat
“The body was recovered and has been formally identified as that of missing man Daniel Chapman. Daniel’s family have been informed.
“The death remains unexplained at this stage and report will be prepared for the coroner by the Metropolitan Police with the assistance of Northumbria Police.
“Our thoughts are with Daniel’s friends and family at this time.”