Daniel Chapman: Body found in Regent’s Canal yesterday identified as missing northerner
- Credit: Northumbria police
The man found dead in Regent’s Canal yesterday has been named as missing man Daniel Chapman by his family.
His mother, Susan Dawson, wrote publicly on Facebook this afternoon: “So sorry to have to tell you all my lovely, wonderful son Daniel Russell Chapman was found on the 3rd March in Camden canal at 10.15 am and has been identified.
“All who met or knew him will know what a great son he was to me and the last thing he said was how much he loved me and I was never to forget that.
“I will hold him in my heart forever, I thank each and everyone who tried to find him. We will bring him home.”
Daniel’s body was spotted by the public at the Battlebridge Basin, near Tiber Gardens, yesterday. Passers-by called police, who pulled the man out of the water a few minutes later.
You may also want to watch:
It comes six months after Italian national Sebastiano Magnanini was found dead in the same stretch of water.
A Northumbria police spokesperson said: “On Thursday, March 3rd, we were informed by the Metropolitan Police that the body of a man matching Daniel’s description was found in a canal in the London area.
- 1 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 2 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 3 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 4 Kentish Town teen creates football team to 'bring community together'
- 5 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
- 6 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 7 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 8 Club Curling comes to Coal Drops Yard in King’s Cross
- 9 'Exceptional' heroes granted Islington's highest award, the 'Freedom of the Borough'
- 10 Tree wardens to be recruited on every Islington estate 'to advocate for trees'
“The body was recovered and has been formally identified as that of missing man Daniel Chapman. Daniel’s family have been informed.
“The death remains unexplained at this stage and report will be prepared for the coroner by the Metropolitan Police with the assistance of Northumbria Police.
“Our thoughts are with Daniel’s friends and family at this time.”