Daniel Chapman: Body found in Regent’s Canal yesterday identified as missing northerner
- Credit: Northumbria police
The man found dead in Regent’s Canal yesterday has been named as missing man Daniel Chapman by his family.
His mother, Susan Dawson, wrote publicly on Facebook this afternoon: “So sorry to have to tell you all my lovely, wonderful son Daniel Russell Chapman was found on the 3rd March in Camden canal at 10.15 am and has been identified.
“All who met or knew him will know what a great son he was to me and the last thing he said was how much he loved me and I was never to forget that.
“I will hold him in my heart forever, I thank each and everyone who tried to find him. We will bring him home.”
Daniel’s body was spotted by the public at the Battlebridge Basin, near Tiber Gardens, yesterday. Passers-by called police, who pulled the man out of the water a few minutes later.
You may also want to watch:
It comes six months after Italian national Sebastiano Magnanini was found dead in the same stretch of water.
A Northumbria police spokesperson said: “On Thursday, March 3rd, we were informed by the Metropolitan Police that the body of a man matching Daniel’s description was found in a canal in the London area.
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 3 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 4 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 5 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 6 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 7 Mum-of-two 'loses everything' in Islington fire
- 8 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 9 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 10 Statue to street cat Bob unveiled in Islington Green
“The body was recovered and has been formally identified as that of missing man Daniel Chapman. Daniel’s family have been informed.
“The death remains unexplained at this stage and report will be prepared for the coroner by the Metropolitan Police with the assistance of Northumbria Police.
“Our thoughts are with Daniel’s friends and family at this time.”