Danny Ballard signs first professional contract with Arsenal
- Credit: Archant
Arsenal’s highly-rated young defender Danny Ballard has signed his first professional contract with the club.
The talented 18-year-old has twice fought his way back into Hale End academy, signing as a scholar in August 2016.
After being released as a schoolboy in 2016, the Northern Ireland youth international broke his ankle while on trial with Southampton and joined League Two side Stevenage to regain his fitness.
Ballard was poised to sign scholarship forms with the Lamex outfit but was offered a chance to rejoin the Gunners – and has thrived ever since.
Northern Ireland youth international Ballard featured for the club’s U18s and U23s last term and was captain of the squad that reached the FA Youth Cup final against Chelsea in May.
You may also want to watch:
However his no-nonsense performances at the heart of the young guns’ backline throughout the season – including scoring at the Emirates in the 5-0 victory over Blackpool in the second leg of the semi-final – saw him rewarded with his first pro deal.
An Arsenal spokesman said: “We would like to congratulate Daniel on his new contract and wish him well as he continues his development at the club.”
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 6 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 7 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 8 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 9 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 10 Covid delays Finsbury Park murder suspect's bail hearing