View from the street: Discovering a greener world
- Credit: Archant
This week I saw a new world.
By Danbury Street in St Peter’s Ward, children were happily spilling out of school into safe roads. Elsewhere, youngsters profit from School Streets which are closed to motor traffic at the beginning and end of the day.
An Islington primary school parent said this had “transformed the arrival and departure from school”. Many families are choosing to switch from driving to walking or cycling. Numerous School Streets will become part of People Friendly Street schemes, providing benefits all day.
To say ‘new’ is not strictly true. Old photos of residential Islington show roads as quiet as People Friendly Streets. But the world changed for the worse.
The UK’s failure to address the domination of motor traffic has resulted in one of the worst child pedestrian death rates in Western Europe.
You may also want to watch:
Air pollution harms everyone, and children’s lungs are especially vulnerable. My daughter’s severe asthma miraculously disappeared during lockdown. She desperately needs low pollution routes.
Obesity is associated with cancer, high blood pressure, diabetes, poor lung function and bone problems. Over one in three children aged 10-11 in Islington were classed as overweight in 2018. Half of obese children become obese adults. The council’s schemes enable children to live happier, more active lives.
- 1 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 2 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 3 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 6 Islington shooting victim named
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 9 Manor Gardens Welfare Trust CEO awarded British Empire Medal
- 10 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington