Defensive delight for Emery as Arsenal hold firm to beat Newcastle
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsenal boss Unai Emery was delighted with his side’s defensive display as they beat Newcastle 1-0 at St James’ Park on Sunday afternoon to start their Premier League season with a win.
The Gunners were rarely troubled on Tyneside and look comfortable, despite a makeshift back four of Ainsley Maitland-Niles, Sokratis, Calum Chambers and Nacho Monreal.
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang scored the only goal of the game, and Emery was delighted to start the season with three points, saying: "I want to win.
"I want to win, I want to score and I want to do a clean sheet. Today we won and we did that.
"The balance offensively and defensively is only taken with the victory.
You may also want to watch:
"Today, I think, in our 90 minutes we could do that with taking the match very seriously, being very compact and controlling the game with the ball.
"Also, I think we created chances and we need also to create chances for our strikers and today with Auba we won."
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 3 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 4 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 5 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 6 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency
- 7 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 8 Letters on People Friendly Streets in St Peter's
- 9 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 10 Islington: Housing team failed to answer 50% of calls during lockdown
The Arsenal boss was also full of praise for his defence, but was quick to warn that no one is guaranteed a starting place.
"Really, last year for Calum Chambers was a very good year because he played all the matches with Fulham.
"They played him as centre-back in a three, in a two and they played him as a midfielder.
"From pre-season, he deserved to play today in the first XI and he was very focused and with Sokratis was also very serious.
"I want to have very competitive players in each position.
"With David Luiz, with Holding when he is coming back to help us, with training regularly and playing with the under-23s because he will play again tomorrow.
"And with Hector Bellerin, one month more. Today we also had Sead out and the injury to Kieran Tierney.
"I think we can and will want to become stronger defensively, but above all being one offensive team."