Defensive delight for Emery as Arsenal hold firm to beat Newcastle
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsenal boss Unai Emery was delighted with his side’s defensive display as they beat Newcastle 1-0 at St James’ Park on Sunday afternoon to start their Premier League season with a win.
The Gunners were rarely troubled on Tyneside and look comfortable, despite a makeshift back four of Ainsley Maitland-Niles, Sokratis, Calum Chambers and Nacho Monreal.
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang scored the only goal of the game, and Emery was delighted to start the season with three points, saying: "I want to win.
"I want to win, I want to score and I want to do a clean sheet. Today we won and we did that.
"The balance offensively and defensively is only taken with the victory.
"Today, I think, in our 90 minutes we could do that with taking the match very seriously, being very compact and controlling the game with the ball.
"Also, I think we created chances and we need also to create chances for our strikers and today with Auba we won."
- 1 Plumber found guilty of road rage murder of Deliveroo driver
- 2 'Our sandwiches were floating': Islington cafe owner counts cost of burst water mains flood
- 3 A Level results live 2022: Islington schools as they come in
- 4 Angel station closures on one in five days due to staff shortages
- 5 'Rest in peace child': Tributes paid to teenager stabbed to death
- 6 Guilty: Window cleaner 'crushed victim's heart' as he mowed down two men
- 7 Hundreds of novelty teapots on show in Upper Street
- 8 Finsbury Leisure Centre development: 'Something dystopian like Bladerunner'
- 9 Community bus serving Islington and Hackney cancelled after surging fuel prices
- 10 London Assembly: TfL urged to rethink plans to cut 78 bus routes
The Arsenal boss was also full of praise for his defence, but was quick to warn that no one is guaranteed a starting place.
"Really, last year for Calum Chambers was a very good year because he played all the matches with Fulham.
"They played him as centre-back in a three, in a two and they played him as a midfielder.
"From pre-season, he deserved to play today in the first XI and he was very focused and with Sokratis was also very serious.
"I want to have very competitive players in each position.
"With David Luiz, with Holding when he is coming back to help us, with training regularly and playing with the under-23s because he will play again tomorrow.
"And with Hector Bellerin, one month more. Today we also had Sead out and the injury to Kieran Tierney.
"I think we can and will want to become stronger defensively, but above all being one offensive team."