Diamond Jubilee events set to take place across Islington
Many street parties across the borough are gearing up to hold street parties over the Diamond Jubilee weekend, but many are only open to residents living in the roads. We take a look at the variety of open events taking place across the four day weekend which are open to the public.
Friday, June 1:
Society of Genealogists, Charterhouse Buildings, Goswell Road, Finsbury. 11am- 2pm. There will be cakes, drinks, crayons and flags for children. Free.
Durham Road, Holloway. 12- 4pm. St Anne’s and Lennox House care homes have teamed up with the Alsen Day Centre to hold a joint party open to all from. Highlights will include a steel band. Free entry.
Saturday, June 2:
Mayton Street Festival, Holloway, 1pm - 5.30pm. Dance performances, music, children’s entertainers, craft workshops and high tea for anyone named Elizabeth are just some of the highlights of this jam-packed day of celebration. Residents are also encouraged to bring photos and stories to the Old Fire Station for the launch of a new hyperlocal website. Free entry.
Wray Crescent Park, Finsbury Park. 12-7pm. Talented Islingtonians of all ages will be performing at this Sun Splash Showcase in celebration of the Diamond Jubilee and to raise money for local organisation, Upcoming Stars. Activities such as a bungy run will be on offer and food and drinks stalls will be selling tasty grub including jerk chicken. Free entry
- 1 Woman harassed by Claudia Webbe wanted MP 'to be humiliated'
- 2 5 of the best things to do with kids in north London
- 3 Mother Clucker! Fried chicken restaurant to open in Upper Street
- 4 VOTE: Which north London fish and chip shop is your favourite?
- 5 Jailed: Members of 'sophisticated' drugs crime gang sentenced
- 6 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 7 'Wrong place, wrong time': Men convicted after fatal mistaken revenge shooting
- 8 Appeal hearing of MP Claudia Webbe gets under way
- 9 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 10 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
Hatchard Road, Upper Holloway. 12 – 4pm. The Islington Chinese Association is holding a street carnival including face painting, Thai Chi and lion dance performances. There will also be table tennis, badminton, ma-jong playing, tai-chi, as well as free food and drinks for all.
Sunday, June 3
Book Club, Leonard Street, Clerkenwell. Midday – 2am. Following the resounding success of the bar’s Royal Wedding street party, another free event celebrating the best of British talent is set to entertain more than 5,000 people. Entry wristbands are available from the bar, while there will also be limited spaces for people to turn up on the day. For more info visit www.facebook.com/TheBookClubEC2
Monday, June 4
St Andrews Community Church, Whitehall Park, Archway. From 7pm.
Folk band the Northern Celts head up a special Jubilee barn dance for the local community, organised by the Whitehall Park Area Residents’ Association. The event is free but a contribution towards the church and food would be appreciated. Visit www.whpara.org.uk/Home.html for more.
Tuesday, June 5
Dame Street, Islington. 1pm – 4.30pm. Expect inflatables and plenty of other games on offer at this street party, organised by the Friends of the nearby Waterside Playground. Food and drink will be available. Free event, but contributions are welcome.