Dignity in Care Awards: ‘Carers don’t get enough recognition or pay...to get an award was fantastic’
- Credit: Archant
Who is Islington’s best care worker?
That’s what the town hall wants to know ahead of its Dignity in Care Awards. Nominations are open until the end of the month.
The award recognises the support provided to people with care needs in Islington at vulnerable times in their life, and celebrates the individual contributions people have made.
Toinette Taylor, a care worker for Notting Hill Housing for four years, was honoured at last year’s event after she helped care for a man in his own home after he discovered he had 24 hours to live.
Ms Taylor, 57, told the Gazette: “You don’t do the job for the money – you do it because of the love in your heart. I get a lot of satisfaction from my job.
“Carers don’t get enough recognition and they certainly don’t get enough pay.
“But to get an award last year was fantastic and it’s lovely to know that someone respects the work that you’re doing.
- 1 Community bus serving Islington and Hackney cancelled after surging fuel prices
- 2 Met Office: Thunderstorm warning issued for London
- 3 West Hampstead man fatally stabbed in Ealing
- 4 Teenager arrested in Deshuan Tuitt murder investigation
- 5 Teenage Highbury Fields fatal stabbing victim named by police
- 6 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 7 Inside the esports gaming arena coming to Islington's Upper Street
- 8 Finsbury Park man due in court charged with pub murder
- 9 Landlord who did not provide kitchen for tenant fined £40,000
- 10 Murder investigation after teenager stabbed in Islington park
“I encourage people to get involved in this year’s awards.”
The winner will be decided by Age UK, Healthwatch, Islington Pensioners Forum and deputy leader of Islington Council Janet Burgess.
Anyone who works in the care sector and is employed by Islington Council is eligible for nomination.
To put someone forward, go to islington.gov.uk/social-care-health/dignity-in-care-awards-2017.