Disabled Arsenal fan takes on Emirates Stadium challenge for charity
- Credit: Archant
A disabled Arsenal fan is set to take on a gruelling wheelchair challenge to raise thousands of pounds for charity today.
Former sailor Paul Smith, 55, will attempt to circumnavigate the Emirates Stadium 255 times – a total of 100 miles– in just seven hours.
Mr Smith has been training six times a week under the guidance of a dedicated support crew ahead of the Challenge Emirates ride this Sunday.
He hopes to raise £25,000 for Save the Children with donations from local residents who are encouraged to visit the stadium to cheer him on.
This will be the third wheelchair challenge Mr Smith has taken on for the charity, having already raised £75,000 from rides in 2011 and 2012.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Smith, who sustained multiple injuries following a road accident in 1991, said: “I am taking on this challenge to follow on where I left off last year: 325 miles was a huge challenge for me last year but I have never gone against the clock.
“I want to see if I can beat the clock in the same way I am battling my own disabilities and in the meantime put the challenge to some good use by doing it for Save the Children.”
- 1 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 2 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 3 Islington Council backtracks on promise to save mulberry tree
- 4 Historic pub The Cuckoo ready to welcome locals inside after refurbishment
- 5 Reaction from winners of Islington by-elections
- 6 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 7 Islington Boxing Club receives a major boost in fundraising campaign
- 8 Upper Street chef raises money for St Vincent volcano victims
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 900-year-old Farringdon market can continue despite opposition
Challenge Emirates will take place from 8.30am at Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium, Drayton Park.
Donations can be made online at justgiving.com/ChallengeEmirates or by texting to 70070 with a code NDLT60 and entering the amount.