Disabled Arsenal fan takes on Emirates Stadium challenge for charity
- Credit: Archant
A disabled Arsenal fan is set to take on a gruelling wheelchair challenge to raise thousands of pounds for charity today.
Former sailor Paul Smith, 55, will attempt to circumnavigate the Emirates Stadium 255 times – a total of 100 miles– in just seven hours.
Mr Smith has been training six times a week under the guidance of a dedicated support crew ahead of the Challenge Emirates ride this Sunday.
He hopes to raise £25,000 for Save the Children with donations from local residents who are encouraged to visit the stadium to cheer him on.
This will be the third wheelchair challenge Mr Smith has taken on for the charity, having already raised £75,000 from rides in 2011 and 2012.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Smith, who sustained multiple injuries following a road accident in 1991, said: “I am taking on this challenge to follow on where I left off last year: 325 miles was a huge challenge for me last year but I have never gone against the clock.
“I want to see if I can beat the clock in the same way I am battling my own disabilities and in the meantime put the challenge to some good use by doing it for Save the Children.”
- 1 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 2 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 3 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 4 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 5 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 6 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 7 Callum Chambers could be Arsenal's starting right-back
- 8 Summer in the city: 5 Things to do in Islington this weekend
- 9 Statue to street cat Bob unveiled in Islington Green
- 10 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
Challenge Emirates will take place from 8.30am at Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium, Drayton Park.
Donations can be made online at justgiving.com/ChallengeEmirates or by texting to 70070 with a code NDLT60 and entering the amount.