Disabled Arsenal fan takes on Emirates Stadium challenge for charity
- Credit: Archant
A disabled Arsenal fan is set to take on a gruelling wheelchair challenge to raise thousands of pounds for charity today.
Former sailor Paul Smith, 55, will attempt to circumnavigate the Emirates Stadium 255 times – a total of 100 miles– in just seven hours.
Mr Smith has been training six times a week under the guidance of a dedicated support crew ahead of the Challenge Emirates ride this Sunday.
He hopes to raise £25,000 for Save the Children with donations from local residents who are encouraged to visit the stadium to cheer him on.
This will be the third wheelchair challenge Mr Smith has taken on for the charity, having already raised £75,000 from rides in 2011 and 2012.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Smith, who sustained multiple injuries following a road accident in 1991, said: “I am taking on this challenge to follow on where I left off last year: 325 miles was a huge challenge for me last year but I have never gone against the clock.
“I want to see if I can beat the clock in the same way I am battling my own disabilities and in the meantime put the challenge to some good use by doing it for Save the Children.”
- 1 Family appeal for help to find Islington man missing for more than two weeks
- 2 Why Angel station was closed yesterday
- 3 Overground suspended in Hackney and Islington
- 4 Five things to do in Hackney and Islington this Halloween weekend
- 5 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 6 Former election candidate convicted of having a knife in public
- 7 Even better than the real thing? Tribute bands to see in north London before 2022
- 8 Letter: 'Highbury Corner is unsafe and unhealthy for pedestrians'
- 9 Islington food bank sees applicants triple
- 10 'You can see where their priorities are': Islington reacts to the Budget
Challenge Emirates will take place from 8.30am at Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium, Drayton Park.
Donations can be made online at justgiving.com/ChallengeEmirates or by texting to 70070 with a code NDLT60 and entering the amount.