‘Disappointment’ over plans for 13-metre mast overlooking Highbury Fields
- Credit: Archant
Plans for a 13-metre phone mast overlooking Highbury Fields have been submitted.
Vodafone has put in proposals to plonk the antenna on top of council-owned Fieldview Court in Highbury Grove.
Ruth Williamson, who owns a flat there, said: “There was no discussion about whether or not we wanted the antenna – we just got a letter through our doors saying it’s happening.”
Ruth also worries the antenna will be an “eyesore” that “will ruin the beautiful views within the park”.
The plans fall within a council conservation area, aimed at preserving its “specific character”. Ruth is “disappointed” conservation isn’t more stringently enforced. She also worries about the effect of the electromagnetic radiation on her 12-week-old baby and kids in the play park nearby.
You may also want to watch:
Islington Council said it didn’t comment on active planning applications, but that applications attracting lots of responses may be heard at a public meeting.
- 1 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 2 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 3 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 4 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 7 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 8 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 9 Disused Holloway garages converted into garment-making workspace
- 10 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes