‘Don’t leave your cooking unattended’: Brigade warning after Holloway block blaze
- Credit: Archant
Five people had to be treated after a flat blaze in Holloway last Wednesday.
Firefighters said the ground floor fire, in a sheltered housing block in Hornsey Road, started due to cooking being left unattended.
The crews, called from Holloway and Islington fire stations just before 5.30pm, led one man to safety. Paramedics treated five people at the scene for smoke inhalation.
A small part of the flat was damaged. The incident was over in 40 minutes.
A London Fire Brigade spokesperson warned: “You should never leave cooking unattended. If you have to leave the room, turn the heat off. Fortunately there was a smoke alarm that sounded.
You may also want to watch:
“Homes need multiple and linked alarms or you won’t be properly covered. Ideal spots for smoke alarms include rooms where you leave electrical equipment running like computers or heaters, any room where you smoke, and anywhere you charge your mobile or laptop.”
- 1 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 2 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 3 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 6 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 7 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 8 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 9 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 10 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head