Double Islington murder accused found guilty
Two men were jailed for life this week for a double shooting sparked by a row over a �3,000 debt.
Daniel Wilson, 28, of Mile End, and his uncle Wayne Wilson, 43, of Lancashire, will each serve a minimum of 35 years in prison for the murder in Britannia Row, Islington, in the early hours of November 9 last year.
They were found guilty on Monday by a jury at the Old Bailey of murdering Lee Wallace, 25, and Jayson Hassan, 28, in the road outside Strang House.
The two victims were gunned down as they each ran different ways as they left a friend’s home, trying to take shelter behind low brick walls outside the block of flats.
Mr Wallace, of Loughton, was hit once in the lower back and the bullet then passed to his heart, killing him instantly. Mr Hassan, of Hoxton, was shot in the left arm, once in the back and twice in the back of the head, and died in hospital.
You may also want to watch:
Daniel Wilson sold drugs for Mr Hassan and had hidden two of his handguns by burying them in a neighbour’s garden.
But the arrangement turned sour because Mr Hassan was owed �3,000 by Wilson, and Mr Hassan started sending him obscene death threats via text message.
- 1 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 2 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 3 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 4 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 5 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
- 6 Clerkenwell fire: Margery Street office block blaze under investigation
- 7 Meet Charrli - the Islington start-up facilitating zero-waste shopping
- 8 Tony Blair joins celebration to mark 101 years of Highbury Catholic church
- 9 Finsbury Park house to be transformed for ‘Halloween experience’
- 10 Arsenal youngsters Hennessy and Goldie selected for England under 19s
During the course of the trial it was heard that Mr Hassan had threatened to put Daniel Wilson’s grandmother in the boot of a car and held a knife to his girlfriend’s throat in as he inflicted a “reign of terror.”
Wilson, of Lichfield Road, is then said to have recruited the help of his uncle, of St Phillips Road, Preston to carry out the killings.
After the sentencing, Det Ch Insp Stephen Clayman said: “Both Danny Wilson and his uncle, Wayne Wilson, will now have a very long period in custody to reflect on their attack and use of firearms.
“This was a challenging inquiry at times, and my team worked extremely hard over the last year. I would like to thank the witnesses who assisted us, without their support and courage we would not have achieved this result today.”