‘Devastating’: Driver who killed pensioner while high on cocaine jailed
- Credit: Archant
A delivery driver who was on drugs when he knocked down and killed an 83-year-old woman in Old Street was jailed for four-and-a-half years on Tuesday.
The court heard how Jason Cronin, 45, was high on cocaine when he accidentally accelerated his lorry and ran over Parvin Bahramkhan, who was crossing the street, in City Road on September 18, 2017.
Cronin pleaded guilty, eventually, to causing death by careless driving while under the influence of drugs, and was sentenced at Blackfriars Crown Court on Tuesday.
Ellis Williams, a district crown prosecutor in CPS London North, said: “Jason Cronin drove into and killed Parvin Bahramkhan after she crossed the road in front of his stationary lorry.
“If he had looked around before setting off he would have seen Mrs Bahramkhan and she would still be alive.
You may also want to watch:
“He denied his guilt all the way up to the first day of trial when he changed his plea and accepted he had committed the offence of causing death by careless driving when unfit through drugs.
“Before sentencing, the court heard statements from Mrs Bahramkhan’s family of the devastating impact of Cronin’s actions and we hope this conviction brings some sense of justice to them.”
- 1 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 2 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 3 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 4 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 5 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 8 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 9 Stop the Burn: Protest planned against Edmonton incinerator rebuild
- 10 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
The first hearing was on May 4 at Highbury Magistrates’ Court and Cronin pleaded not guilty until the first day of his trial, on January 2.
He has been disqualified from driving for seven years and three moths.