Drivers breaking Islington’s 20mph limit to be fined for the first time tomorrow
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
For the first time drivers who break Islington’s borough-wide 20mph speed limit could be slapped with on the spot fines.
From tomorrow police will dish out penalty charges and driving licence points of people breaking the barrier at accident hotspots across Islington – which have seen eight people killed and 317 seriously injured since 2011.
The limit has been in place on all Islington’s roads – apart from the Transport for London-run “red routes” – since last year but has been branded toothless after not a single penalty was issued in the first 12 months.
Ch Sup Gerry Campbell, Islington’s borough commander, said: “I remain determined to contributing to making Islington the safest borough in London, which includes reducing road collisions and targeting those intent on speeding through our borough causing danger to others.
“My officers and Islington Council staff have worked hard to advise motorists of the implications of driving at excessive speed in the 20 mph zones.
You may also want to watch:
“I have also listened to local people’s concerns so the operation is now moving on into a different phase, which may see motorists being issued with fixed penalty notices or prosecuted for driving in excess of the 20 mph limit.”
Cllr Claudia Webbe, Islington Council’s executive member for environment and transport, said: “We welcome the police’s enforcement of the 20mph limit in Islington as part of our joint efforts to make Islington’s roads safer for everyone.
- 1 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 2 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 3 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 4 Tributes paid to founder of Islington's Museum of Funeral History
- 5 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 6 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 7 Joe Montemurro says he expects Vivianne Miedema to stay at Arsenal
- 8 Primary school allowed to keep floodlights despite complaints
- 9 'Risk of thunderstorms' in north London ahead of May 17 lockdown easing
- 10 Reaction from winners of Islington by-elections
“When we consulted on our plans to make Islington London’s first 20mph borough, residents and road safety groups gave us their backing so this is an important step forward.”
In August, the Gazette revealed average speeds on nearly 100 roads in Islington remained the same since the limit was implemented.
Since November 2013, police in Islington have stopped 900 motorists and advised them not to exceed the 20 mph speed limit, but are now stepping up the enforcement campaign – making Islington the first borough in London where motorists flouting the 20mph limit could be prosecuted.