‘Drunks sleep in the park’: Newington Green shops complain to Islington Council over new off-licence plans
- Credit: Archant
Two Newington Green businesses are trying to stop a new off-licence selling alcohol until the early hours on weekends.
Newington Park Supermarket is to open in Newington Green Road, at the current site of L Emporium newsagent.
Ali Ozveren has applied to sell booze until 1am on Saturdays and Sundays, and midnight on weekdays.
But two neighbouring businesses, which were not named in licensing documents, have objected to Islington Council.
One wrote: “I have personally witnessed numerous times a lot of drinkers sleep in the park and during the day they go near the shops and cash machines asking people for money to purchase for more alcohol.
You may also want to watch:
“It is very common for these people to be drinking alcohol and causing disturbances in Newington green area.”
The other shop even got solicitors involved. They wrote: “There are enough outlets in the area to sufficiently serve the demand of customers in the location for alcoholic drinks.”
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 7 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 8 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 9 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 10 'We will miss you': Tufnell Park's Ruby Violet ice cream parlour to close
The documents show Mr Ozveren reduced his desired licensing hours after discussions with the council. The application is set to be heard at a town hall licensing sub committee meeting tomorrow.