‘Drunks sleep in the park’: Newington Green shops complain to Islington Council over new off-licence plans
- Credit: Archant
Two Newington Green businesses are trying to stop a new off-licence selling alcohol until the early hours on weekends.
Newington Park Supermarket is to open in Newington Green Road, at the current site of L Emporium newsagent.
Ali Ozveren has applied to sell booze until 1am on Saturdays and Sundays, and midnight on weekdays.
But two neighbouring businesses, which were not named in licensing documents, have objected to Islington Council.
One wrote: “I have personally witnessed numerous times a lot of drinkers sleep in the park and during the day they go near the shops and cash machines asking people for money to purchase for more alcohol.
You may also want to watch:
“It is very common for these people to be drinking alcohol and causing disturbances in Newington green area.”
The other shop even got solicitors involved. They wrote: “There are enough outlets in the area to sufficiently serve the demand of customers in the location for alcoholic drinks.”
- 1 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 2 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 3 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 4 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 5 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 6 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 7 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Tony Eastlake: Man in court over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
The documents show Mr Ozveren reduced his desired licensing hours after discussions with the council. The application is set to be heard at a town hall licensing sub committee meeting tomorrow.