‘Drunks sleep in the park’: Newington Green shops complain to Islington Council over new off-licence plans
- Credit: Archant
Two Newington Green businesses are trying to stop a new off-licence selling alcohol until the early hours on weekends.
Newington Park Supermarket is to open in Newington Green Road, at the current site of L Emporium newsagent.
Ali Ozveren has applied to sell booze until 1am on Saturdays and Sundays, and midnight on weekdays.
But two neighbouring businesses, which were not named in licensing documents, have objected to Islington Council.
One wrote: “I have personally witnessed numerous times a lot of drinkers sleep in the park and during the day they go near the shops and cash machines asking people for money to purchase for more alcohol.
“It is very common for these people to be drinking alcohol and causing disturbances in Newington green area.”
The other shop even got solicitors involved. They wrote: “There are enough outlets in the area to sufficiently serve the demand of customers in the location for alcoholic drinks.”
- 1 Plan to extend popular Gooners pub with shops and flats
- 2 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 3 Blue Badge exemption and positive results for Canonbury East LTN
- 4 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 5 Five appear in court charged with drugs offences after dawn raids
- 6 Disqualified driver jailed after hit-and-run involving Islington schoolgirl
- 7 'We've still not had Christmas cards': Royal Mail apologises as post backlog hits Islington
- 8 Holloway BHF pleads for volunteers to help it stay open
- 9 Knifeman was out on bail when he nearly killed father-of-three on school run
- 10 Ironmonger Row Baths have reopened for these activities
The documents show Mr Ozveren reduced his desired licensing hours after discussions with the council. The application is set to be heard at a town hall licensing sub committee meeting tomorrow.