EastEnders star the highlight of Islington’s Christmas light switch-ons
Full line-up of events in Angel, Archway, Holloway and Islington Green revealed
ACTOR Larry Lamb will be the star attraction of a weekend of Christmas light witch on events across Islington.
The dashing celebrity, who played horrible Archie Mitchell in EastEnders and lovable dad Mick in Gavin and Stacey, will be at Islington Green tomorrow afternoon to bring a bit of festive sparkle to the Angel.
The fun starts tonight at Archway, and climaxes with the Nag’s head Christmas extravaganza on Sunday, when part of Holloway Road will be closed off to traffic all afternoon as the borough is transformed into a winter wonderland.
Councillor Paul Smith, Islington Council’s executive member for environment, said: “We want residents to enjoy Christmas.
You may also want to watch:
“Despite the huge Government cuts we face, we’re strongly supporting this year’s Christmas light switch-ons, both with funding and expert help and advice.
“I’d invite everyone to come and enjoy some free fun, some festive magic, and support local businesses over Christmas.”
- 1 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 2 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 3 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 4 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 5 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 6 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 7 Summer in the city: 5 Things to do in Islington this weekend
- 8 Callum Chambers could be Arsenal's starting right-back
- 9 Statue to street cat Bob unveiled in Islington Green
- 10 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
Archway’s lights will be lit at 5pm by Councillor Mouna Hamitouche, Mayor of Islington, and 10-year-old competition winner Abbie Arkley.
Celebrations from 3.45pm-6pm include the chance to meet Father Christmas, Christmas carols from Hargrave Park Primary School, Christmas stalls, a jazz band and street dance.
Angel’s switch-on takes place at 4.30pm on Islington Green, with actor Larry Lamb doing the honours.
There will be jazz music from 4pm-6pm, a visit from Father Christmas, and a festive shop window competition for businesses in Camden Passage.
Nag’s Head Town Centre is hosting a Christmas Extravaganza from 11.30am-5pm with funfair rides, stalls, reindeer, live music and a Christmas market. It follows last year’s hugely successful event attended by about 6,000 people.
A secret guest celebrity will switch on the lights at 4.15pm.
Highbury Barn’s Christmas lights will be switched on at 5pm by Councillor Mouna Hamitouche, Mayor of Islington.
The festive event has been organised by the local businesses in Highbury Barn with support from Islington Council.