Editor’s comment: Labour Party must kick Sandy Marks out unless she comes clean
- Credit: Archant
Sandy Marks has continued to protest her innocence in the face of a QC’s finding that she was involved with pro-paedophile campaign groups in 1979 and 1980.
That is, of course, her right. And to say, as her public statement does, that she was “cleared of all wrongdoing” in Sarah Morgan’s independent review might technically be correct, but it’s not the whole story.
Yes, Ms Morgan found that Ms Marks’ past affiliations had no discernible impact on the way she carried out her duties as chair of the social services committee, which had political oversight of children’s homes while kids were being abused there.
But it also found that she had been involved with the Fallen Angels and Conspiracy Against Public Morals, which campaigned for the Paedophile Information Exchange defendants to be freed.
What’s more, Ms Morgan made that finding in spite of Ms Marks’ own assertions while being interviewed that she wasn’t involved with either group and had never even been to Barcelona, where she was photographed at least twice at the International Gay Association conference 1980.
You may also want to watch:
To tell us she wasn’t involved when we had evidence that she was is one thing, although personally I think denying the truth to a newspaper is bad enough.
But denying the truth to a barrister who has been paid public money specifically to investigate those claims? I think that’s pretty indefensible.
- 1 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 2 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 3 Launch date for Gordon Ramsay's Upper Street burger chain
- 4 Upper Street flat attack: Man, 58, stabbed in neck and back
- 5 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhood scheme
- 6 Letters: Fighting to keep Wray Crescent Park available to all
- 7 Police investigate alleged Finsbury Park rape
- 8 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 9 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
- 10 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
And on that basis, I believe that until Sandy Marks comes clean about her past and distances herself publicly from the groups she was once involved in, she has no place in politics, and her membership of the Labour Party should be rescinded. I will wait with interest to see what the party decides to do given Ms Morgan’s findings.