Artwork by New North Academy students brightening up walls of Islington town hall in exhibition
- Credit: Archant
Artwork created by New North Academy students is brightening up the walls of the Islington town hall lobby this month.
The exhibition is about the students’ place in the world and how they relate to other culture from places as diverse as Africa and Ancient Greece.
Year 6 kids were encouraged to express a person or memory which evoked a strong emotion through a series of brightly coloured collages, inspired by Chris Ofili – a London artist with Nigerian heritage.
Those in Year 5 were tasked with drawing the human figure based on Greek artist Polycleitus.
Mohammed Ali, 10, whose work will go on display, said: “I feel kind of shy but I’m also really proud to show art about a subject that means so much to me and my community.”
The school’s art specialist Lauren Munding added: “I am so proud of what the students have achieved, they keep surprising me and exceeding my expectations.”
- 1 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 2 Blue Badge exemption and positive results for Canonbury East LTN
- 3 Five appear in court charged with drugs offences after dawn raids
- 4 Knifeman was out on bail when he nearly killed father-of-three on school run
- 5 'We've still not had Christmas cards': Royal Mail apologises as post backlog hits Islington
- 6 Holloway BHF pleads for volunteers to help it stay open
- 7 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 8 Ironmonger Row Baths have reopened for these activities
- 9 Archway teacher on trial for 'encouraging terrorism'
- 10 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op