Artwork by New North Academy students brightening up walls of Islington town hall in exhibition
- Credit: Archant
Artwork created by New North Academy students is brightening up the walls of the Islington town hall lobby this month.
The exhibition is about the students’ place in the world and how they relate to other culture from places as diverse as Africa and Ancient Greece.
Year 6 kids were encouraged to express a person or memory which evoked a strong emotion through a series of brightly coloured collages, inspired by Chris Ofili – a London artist with Nigerian heritage.
Those in Year 5 were tasked with drawing the human figure based on Greek artist Polycleitus.
Mohammed Ali, 10, whose work will go on display, said: “I feel kind of shy but I’m also really proud to show art about a subject that means so much to me and my community.”
You may also want to watch:
The school’s art specialist Lauren Munding added: “I am so proud of what the students have achieved, they keep surprising me and exceeding my expectations.”
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 3 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 4 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 5 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 6 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 7 Jungle Cruise (12A)
- 8 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
- 9 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 10 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking