Artwork by New North Academy students brightening up walls of Islington town hall in exhibition
- Credit: Archant
Artwork created by New North Academy students is brightening up the walls of the Islington town hall lobby this month.
The exhibition is about the students’ place in the world and how they relate to other culture from places as diverse as Africa and Ancient Greece.
Year 6 kids were encouraged to express a person or memory which evoked a strong emotion through a series of brightly coloured collages, inspired by Chris Ofili – a London artist with Nigerian heritage.
Those in Year 5 were tasked with drawing the human figure based on Greek artist Polycleitus.
Mohammed Ali, 10, whose work will go on display, said: “I feel kind of shy but I’m also really proud to show art about a subject that means so much to me and my community.”
You may also want to watch:
The school’s art specialist Lauren Munding added: “I am so proud of what the students have achieved, they keep surprising me and exceeding my expectations.”
- 1 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 2 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 3 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 4 Joe Montemurro says he expects Vivianne Miedema to stay at Arsenal
- 5 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 6 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 7 Tributes paid to founder of Islington's Museum of Funeral History
- 8 Primary school allowed to keep floodlights despite complaints
- 9 'Risk of thunderstorms' in north London ahead of May 17 lockdown easing
- 10 Arsenal in negotiations for Mana Iwabuchi Joe Montemurro confirms