Budding Highbury chef reaches final of prestigious cooking competition
- Credit: Archant
A budding Heston Blumenthal has booked her place in a prestigious cooking competition.
Jade Smiles, a pupil at Highbury Fields School, in Highbury Hill, wowed the judges at a regional heat of Futurechef. The year 11 GCSE hospitality and catering student was given £7 to source ingredients for her feast.
The 16-year-old made pan-fried salmon with samphire, sauté potatoes and cream of tarragon sauce, with an intricately designed pâte à choux swans with crème patisserie and spun sugar for dessert.
Among the prestigious judging panel impressed by Jade’s talent in the kitchen was Michael Riordan, executive chef at the luxury St Pancras Renaissance Hotel.
Jade will now test her culinary expertise against some of the brightest young chefs in London at the final in February.
You may also want to watch:
Denise Joseph, the school’s head of faculty for art and technology said: “All at Highbury Fields are very proud of Jade. On the day, she impressed everybody by delivering outstanding dishes under pressure. Well done Jade.”
Her progress can be followed here
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 3 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 4 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 5 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 6 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 7 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 8 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 9 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 10 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London