Budding Highbury chef reaches final of prestigious cooking competition
- Credit: Archant
A budding Heston Blumenthal has booked her place in a prestigious cooking competition.
Jade Smiles, a pupil at Highbury Fields School, in Highbury Hill, wowed the judges at a regional heat of Futurechef. The year 11 GCSE hospitality and catering student was given £7 to source ingredients for her feast.
The 16-year-old made pan-fried salmon with samphire, sauté potatoes and cream of tarragon sauce, with an intricately designed pâte à choux swans with crème patisserie and spun sugar for dessert.
Among the prestigious judging panel impressed by Jade’s talent in the kitchen was Michael Riordan, executive chef at the luxury St Pancras Renaissance Hotel.
Jade will now test her culinary expertise against some of the brightest young chefs in London at the final in February.
You may also want to watch:
Denise Joseph, the school’s head of faculty for art and technology said: “All at Highbury Fields are very proud of Jade. On the day, she impressed everybody by delivering outstanding dishes under pressure. Well done Jade.”
Her progress can be followed here
- 1 New nightclub Glam to open in Shoreditch in June
- 2 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 3 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 4 Reader letters: Islington's Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - for and against
- 5 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 6 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 7 Arsenal Women on cloud nine after big FA Cup win
- 8 Crime plummeted in Islington during Covid pandemic, new figures reveal
- 9 David Dein: Former Arsenal chief shares top tips for success
- 10 Charity launches new campaign to eradicate food poverty in north London