Cab catches fire in Islington while driver eats kebab
PUBLISHED: 08:45 27 November 2011 | UPDATED: 14:02 01 December 2011
Firefighters battled to stop a black cab from blowing up when it caught fire last Friday.
James Taylor, 56, the driver, was coming out of a cafe in St John’s Street, Islington, having bought a kebab when he noticed the flames.
A fire engine and five firefighters went to the scene at about 1pm and had the situation under control in 20 minutes.
Mr Taylor, who has been a cab driver for 30 years, said: “I stopped and pulled up for lunch. When I got out, I noticed the cab had caught fire. I called the fire brigade right way. Nothing like this has ever happened before.
“The main thing is that I wasn’t in it. You always think it happens to other people, and now it’s happened to me.
“I don’t know which is more of a wreck; the taxi or me.”
Elaine Mulcare, who saw the fire from her home, said: “We just saw the smoke and came down.”
Firefighters on the scene said that the flames were caused by an electrical fault.
Nathan Cane, from Shoreditch fire station, said: “The taxi was on fire when I got here. It wasn’t hard to put out but we had to stop the fire getting to the fuel tanks because that would cause it to blow up.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Islington Gazette. Click the link in the orange box above for details.