Children meet the Gruffalo illustrator in Islington
Children had the chance to meet the illustrator of one of their favourite books at a recent literacy event.
Axel Scheffler, award-winning illustrator of The Gruffalo, delighted children as part of The London Children’s Book Swap on Saturday, February 25.
Youngsters and parents turned out in their dozens for the free fun day at The Little Angel Theatre in Dagmar Passage, Islington, and the Free Word Centre in Farringdon Road, Farringdon.
There was also a book swap, face painting, and a storybook writing workshop with children’s author Louie Stowell.
Katherine Woodpine, literature and promotions coordinator at Booktrust, said: “It was a huge success. Loads of families came along, with many books swapped. Lots of parents said it was great and really welcomed it as there aren’t many free literary events of its kind in our area.”
“All the children managed to meet Mr Scheffler.”
- 1 Islington pub Alpaca wins lockdown service award
- 2 Masks, PCR tests and boosters: New measures to combat Omicron variant
- 3 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
- 4 New Covid-19 vaccine centre opens on Holloway Road
- 5 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
- 6 Scandinavian primary school moves to bigger premises in Highbury
- 7 Family of missing Islington man make urgent appeal for information
- 8 Let's Talk: Campaign launched to tackle Islington inequality
- 9 Shops encouraged to become 'safe havens' to make Islington safer for women
- 10 Hundreds enjoy Jewish festival of lights in Islington