Children meet the Gruffalo illustrator in Islington
Children had the chance to meet the illustrator of one of their favourite books at a recent literacy event.
Axel Scheffler, award-winning illustrator of The Gruffalo, delighted children as part of The London Children’s Book Swap on Saturday, February 25.
Youngsters and parents turned out in their dozens for the free fun day at The Little Angel Theatre in Dagmar Passage, Islington, and the Free Word Centre in Farringdon Road, Farringdon.
There was also a book swap, face painting, and a storybook writing workshop with children’s author Louie Stowell.
Katherine Woodpine, literature and promotions coordinator at Booktrust, said: “It was a huge success. Loads of families came along, with many books swapped. Lots of parents said it was great and really welcomed it as there aren’t many free literary events of its kind in our area.”
You may also want to watch:
“All the children managed to meet Mr Scheffler.”
- 1 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 2 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 3 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 4 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 5 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - more points of view
- 6 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 7 Cult restaurant Eggslut set to open third London location
- 8 'It's crippling us': Islington's theatres and pubs disheartened by lockdown extension
- 9 Islington shooting victim named
- 10 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern