Children meet the Gruffalo illustrator in Islington
Children had the chance to meet the illustrator of one of their favourite books at a recent literacy event.
Axel Scheffler, award-winning illustrator of The Gruffalo, delighted children as part of The London Children’s Book Swap on Saturday, February 25.
Youngsters and parents turned out in their dozens for the free fun day at The Little Angel Theatre in Dagmar Passage, Islington, and the Free Word Centre in Farringdon Road, Farringdon.
There was also a book swap, face painting, and a storybook writing workshop with children’s author Louie Stowell.
Katherine Woodpine, literature and promotions coordinator at Booktrust, said: “It was a huge success. Loads of families came along, with many books swapped. Lots of parents said it was great and really welcomed it as there aren’t many free literary events of its kind in our area.”
You may also want to watch:
“All the children managed to meet Mr Scheffler.”
- 1 Dangerous driving complaints spur Holloway right-turn bans
- 2 More than 1,000 knives surrendered in Islington’s knife bins
- 3 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney
- 4 Letters on Low Traffic Neighbourhoods
- 5 Letter on Holloway Prison site development
- 6 Emirates pop-up Covid-19 vaccine clinic opens for a second time
- 7 Covid-19 cases start to drop off in Islington
- 8 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 9 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 10 Escape in Islington this weekend: Lovely food and great new shows