Cinderella actress Lily James and ex-Doctor Who Matt Smith drop into primary school
- Credit: Archant
Primary school leavers were given a fairytale send-off by Cinderella star Lily James and former Doctor Who Matt Smith today.
The Hollywood actress and her boyfriend, who live in nearby Dartmouth Park, were guests of honour at Brecknock Primary School’s end-of-term assembly for Year 6 pupils starting secondary school in September.
To the children’s delight, Ms James brought with her the sparkly £2,995 Jimmy Choo heels she wore to the premiere of Kenneth Branagh’s 2015 live-action Cinderella.
In a speech, she told pupils to “ work hard and never give up” before congratulating each leaver individually, handing them a book and certificate.
Ms James and Mr Smith then watched with broad smiles as pupils performed Bob Marley’s ‘Don’t Worry About a Thing’ and ‘When I Grow Up’ from the West End musical version of Roald Dahl’s Matilda.
You may also want to watch:
She told the Gazette: “I still feel like a big kid so it’s strange to be here talking about following your dreams.
“When you take on a role like Cinderella, that comes with a responsibility to be a good role model for young people, and I really embrace that responsibility.”
- 1 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 2 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 3 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 4 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 5 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 6 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 7 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park
- 8 Families of WW2 veterans join Jeremy Corbyn in presenting plaque
- 9 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 10 Letters on low traffic neighbourhoods
After the ceremony, two Year 5 pupils, Charlotte Shaw, and Ivy Nicholls, both 9, subjected Ms James to a gruelling interview about life as an actress, her favourite director to work with, and how her life has changed since the release of blockbuster Cinderella.
The couple visited the school, on the border of Camden and Islington in Tufnell Park, as Ms James’ cousin, David Simmons, is a governor there.