City and Islington College students honoured at Petchey Awards
- Credit: Archant
High-flying students have been showered with awards from the Jack Petchey Foundation.
Youngsters studying at all five centres of City and Islington College were commended at a Jack Petchey Awards ceremony.
The awards celebrate 11 to 25-year-olds who have made a wholehearted, unselfish and dedicated contribution to their club, school or to their community.
The 19 students honoured included sixth formers Sarah Lalouche, who raised £19,000 for Palestinian charities, and Hosanna Makanda, who spoke no English when she fled the war-torn Democratic Republic of Congo in 2011, but is now applying to top universities.
Hosanna, 19, said: “I am very pleased and humbled to have received this award, and congratulate all the students who have been recognised.
You may also want to watch:
“I am impressed with how the Jack Petchey Foundation supports young people in Islington and across the country.”
Winners received a framed certificate, a medallion and £200 to be spent on additional activities or new equipment for the centres. where they study.
- 1 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 2 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 7 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 8 Islington district suffer heavy defeat to Greenwich in Lester Finch Trophy
- 9 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 10 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition