Confusion over Islington pork prohibition as councillors contradict themselves
- Credit: Archant
Campaign launched to bring chops, bacon and bangers back to primary schools
Confusion reigns over the lack of pork in Islington’s school dinners as councillors Tweet contradictory messages.
When asked by the Gazette last month, Islington Council stated categorically that no pig was dished up in any of the borough’s primary schools.
Then after news of the ham, chops and bacon free school menus broke yesterday, they claimed no ban was in place, and any school who wanted to serve pork could contact the town hall to arrange this - although none had so far chosen to do so.
But this morning, Cllr Joe Caluori, Islington Council’s executive member for children and families tweeted: “Schools sometimes do serve pork (toad in the hole yesterday) and no child, parent or teacher had ever complained to me about this.”
You may also want to watch:
Unfortunately he hadn’t liaised with his town hall colleague, Cllr Paul Convery, who minutes later Tweeted “it was lamb”.
After realising his mistake, Cllr Calouri quickly deleted offending Tweet, replacing it with one citing “ham sandwiches” being served instead.
- 1 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 2 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 3 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 4 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 5 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 6 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park
- 7 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 8 Letters on low traffic neighbourhoods
- 9 Families of WW2 veterans join Jeremy Corbyn in presenting plaque
- 10 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
Cllr Caluori also Tweeted “no one in the borough minds” about the lack of pork on school menus.
However a Facebook campaign launched in the last 24 called Bring Back Pork to Islington Primary Schools, has already received more than 180 likes.
In addition Chris Godfrey, whose family has ran a Highbury butchers for 100 years, told the Gazette “kids deserve to be given a choice, I don’t think this helps anyone”.
Cllr Caluori declined to say whether parents had been informed of the decision to remove pig meat from schools.
Mother’s campaign Group Islington Mums tweeted: “Pork banned from all Primary School menus in Islington. What do you think?”
In a statement released yesterday, Islington Council said; “It’s not true that pork is banned in our primary schools.
“It is not currently provided in our catering contract, but if any primary school wants to serve pork we will work with them to arrange it.”
The town hall has not clarified how the extra cost of serving pork would be paid for.