Controversial Finsbury school site saga comes to a close
The long-running saga over the future of a former Finsbury primary school looks set to end after the council nodded through plans for a block of flats.
Last week, Islington Council’s planning committee gave the go-ahead for Southern Housing Group to build a five storey block housing 65 homes – 19 of which will be affordable housing – on the erstwhile site of Moorfields Primary School, on the corner of Featherstone Street and Bunhill Row.
But people in the area are concerned about the impact on neighbouring Bunhill Cemetery, a Grade I listed burial ground.
And the development has dripped with controversy throughout – being turned down by the council last year and briefly becoming home to the Occupy protest after they left Finsbury Square.
Vince Mitchell, co-ordinator of Moorfield Resident’s Action Group Executive, said: “The worry is, now they have approval, they will make little changes to the plans without needing permission that will make it a lot worse than it already is.”
You may also want to watch:
Dale Meredith, from Southern Housing Group, said: “We are delighted with the decision. It has not been an easy process. We have worked with Islington Council and taken all stakeholder considerations into account.”
to come up with a scheme that will deliver some much needed affordable housing in the area.”
- 1 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 2 Arsenal fan's search for every Highbury Stadium match since 1940s
- 3 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 4 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham
- 5 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 6 Residents' 'frustration' as Royal Mail works to deliver in lockdown
- 7 Highbury woman launches pen pal initiative to fight lockdown loneliness
- 8 Designated Covid care setting celebrates intervention on insurance issues
- 9 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school
- 10 Thames Water faces councillors’ anger over billing changes for tenants