Crowds dazzled by fireworks in Canonbury and Holloway
A sell-out crowd of pupils, parents and staff from Canonbury Primary School gazed in awe at a spectacular explosive display on Friday.
Around 500 people turned up to the Canonbury school to enjoy the light jugglers, food, drink, fireworks and music.
One parent timed the soundtrack so Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture boomed out of the speakers as the display reached its crescendo.
Sarah Ouldcott, senior administrative officer at the school, said: “It was a fantastic evening, everybody had loads of fun. The fireworks were incredible and when they were over, everyone stayed around eating and drinking. Karis Edwards, who organised the event, deserves a medal.”
Meanwhile, the previous weekend more than 500 people braved the cold to enjoy the fireworks display in Arundel Square, Holloway.
You may also want to watch:
The event on October 30 featured �2,000 worth of fireworks, as well as music, a barbecue, fruit punch, costumes and stalls.
It was organised by the Ellington Street and Arundel Square Residents Associations, and took place in the square for the first time since 2004 due to building work.
- 1 Reader letters: Islington's Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - for and against
- 2 New nightclub Glam to open in Shoreditch in June
- 3 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 4 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 5 Arsenal Women on cloud nine after big FA Cup win
- 6 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 7 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 8 Charity launches new campaign to eradicate food poverty in north London
- 9 Katie McCabe wins Islington Gazette Arsenal Women's player of the season
- 10 David Dein: Former Arsenal chief shares top tips for success
Susie Graves, who lives in Arundel Square and attended the display, said: “It was brilliant, a really amazing occasion. It was so busy they were turning people away. People of all ages came and enjoyed it – it was a really good community event.”