Cutting-edge technology on the agenda at Clerkenwell design week
- Credit: Archant
A unique vehicle powered by a combination of rocket fuel and jet engines was among the highlights of this year’s Clerkenwell design week at City University.
The vehicle, which will attempt to break the land speed record in South Africa next year, was designed using computer modelling, and was used as an example of the powers of innovative design.
Other highlights included talks from the team behind Mark Cavendish’s Tour de France bike, as well as an insight into how advanced design techniques were used in the construction of Sir Ben Ainslie’s America’s Cup Team boat.
Clerkenwell Design Week is an annual event held to celebrate the innovative design work coming out of the Clerkenwell design quarter, with this year’s event entitled “An Innovator’s Playground: How computational science is transforming design.”
The event saw speeches from a panel of top designers, including representatives from Land Rover and Mclaren.
You may also want to watch:
“This year we wanted to hear from senior design engineers who lead teams engaged with projects that are familiar to the wider public,” said Professor Roger Crouch, Dean of City University’s School of Mathematics, Computer Science and Engineering.
“The leading practices are helping us shape our new engineering degrees and will be offering internships for the most able of our students.”
- 1 Tributes paid to 'Gooner legend' who died of Covid 'caught at Euros final'
- 2 Upper Street coffee shop to start selling "quality" wine despite noise objections
- 3 Appeal for information after boy, 15, stabbed in back
- 4 Dangerous driving complaints spur Holloway right-turn bans
- 5 Letters on Low Traffic Neighbourhoods
- 6 More than 1,000 knives surrendered in Islington’s knife bins
- 7 In pictures: Pond-dipping, singing and mindfulness at Gillespie Park fun day
- 8 Letter on Holloway Prison site development
- 9 Covid-19 cases start to drop off in Islington
- 10 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney