DfE launch probe into ‘illegal’ school in Islington
- Credit: Archant
A school in Islington is under investigation by the Department for Education (DfE) for operating illegally.
A probe was launched after the unnamed school was brought to the attention of education authorities.
A DfE spokesman said: “We are aware of an unregistered school in Islington and are taking action.
“We cannot comment further while this is going on.”
The DfE and Islington Council refused to name the school while enquiries are underway.
Unregistered schools operate outside the supervision of the DfE, the council and Ofsted and are often run by faith groups.
Anyone who runs an unregistered school is committing a criminal offence and can be prosecuted.
- 1 Karate champion helps children to build confidence through martial arts
- 2 New Aldi on Old Street to open this month
- 3 Islington men charged after jewellery store robbery
- 4 Old Bailey: Pair enter pleas over Alex Smith murder
- 5 Siblings open community-oriented park coffee hut
- 6 Guilty: 4 teenagers admit 27 offences after series of 19 robberies
- 7 Homes under the Planner: Schemes submitted or approved in Islington in June
- 8 Man charged with 1974 murder of woman found in Highbury
- 9 CCTV: Woman sexually assaulted at Highbury & Islington station
- 10 Islington scammers jailed after preying on elderly victims
* Do you have a child at this school? Or are you a parent with concerns about a local school? Contact investigations journalist Emma Youle on 07785 616 237 or email email@example.com