DfE launch probe into ‘illegal’ school in Islington
- Credit: Archant
A school in Islington is under investigation by the Department for Education (DfE) for operating illegally.
A probe was launched after the unnamed school was brought to the attention of education authorities.
A DfE spokesman said: “We are aware of an unregistered school in Islington and are taking action.
“We cannot comment further while this is going on.”
The DfE and Islington Council refused to name the school while enquiries are underway.
You may also want to watch:
Unregistered schools operate outside the supervision of the DfE, the council and Ofsted and are often run by faith groups.
Anyone who runs an unregistered school is committing a criminal offence and can be prosecuted.
- 1 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 2 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 3 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 4 'Risk of thunderstorms' in north London ahead of May 17 lockdown easing
- 5 Tributes paid to founder of Islington's Museum of Funeral History
- 6 Primary school allowed to keep floodlights despite complaints
- 7 Tollington by-election imminent as Richard Watts joins Khan's 'top team'
- 8 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 9 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 10 Islington Council set to save Grade II-listed South Library from disrepair
* Do you have a child at this school? Or are you a parent with concerns about a local school? Contact investigations journalist Emma Youle on 07785 616 237 or email email@example.com