Enterprising Islington youngsters to showcase their commercial talents
Young entrepreneurs will be given the opportunity to showcase their talents tomorrow (Saturday) at an inspiring youth market event.
The Re:Market event, which takes place in Caledonian Park between 1pm and 6pm, will feature a range of entertainment and activities.
Young people from the community will get the chance to show off their entrepreneurial skills by running stalls, selling items such as graphic T-shirts, customised clothing and independent magazines which they have created.
Besides the fashion and art stalls, which will line the market, visitors will be able to enjoy live graffiti art and a skate ramp plus DJ and commercial sets from up-and-coming artists with recent EMI/Virgin signing Amplify Dot set to perform.
The project is the brainchild of local arts and music organisation Small Green Shoots.
You may also want to watch:
Claire Davies, event manager for the group, said: “The skills gained from youth entrepreneurship projects such as this are vital in helping to heighten employability and to stimulate an enterprise culture among young people.”
The prevailing theme of the event is to increase the entrepreneurial spirit among local people while also promoting alternative routes of employment in Islington and the Caledonian Road area.
- 1 Residents' 'frustration' as Royal Mail works to deliver in lockdown
- 2 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 3 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 4 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school
- 5 Highbury woman launches pen pal initiative to fight lockdown loneliness
- 6 Thames Water faces councillors’ anger over billing changes for tenants
- 7 Islington charity choir smashes fundraising target with help from Brian Eno
- 8 Islington writers among the winners of 2021 awards
- 9 Council tax set to rise amid 'hand-to-mouth' Covid-19 government funding
- 10 Islington dancer recounts apartheid struggles in new book
The day is the culmination of a project for a group of young people who have been carrying out a study into the heritage of Market Road and includes an exhibition with their work plus the creation of a new website.
The Re:Market Project hopes to celebrate the history of Market Road over the past 200 years and has been made possible following a �13,500 grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund.
n For more information visit www.smallgreenshoots.com.