Former Islington mayor is selected as Olympic Gamesmaker
A former Islington Mayor has been selected as a Gamesmaker for the Olympics, which start on Friday.
Barbara Smith, who represented Canonbury ward for the Lib Dems for 12 years, will volunteer at the Boxing Arena in the Xcel Centre in east London.
Her duties will include looking after people coming to see the action.
Mrs Smith was one of 70,000 Gamesmakers selected from 250,000 volunteers.
She said: “I am thrilled to have been chosen, when there were so many applicants.
You may also want to watch:
“I am so excited about being part of what will hopefully be one of the greatest sporting events this country has ever seen.”
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 5 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 6 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 7 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 8 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 9 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 10 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter