Former Islington mayor is selected as Olympic Gamesmaker
A former Islington Mayor has been selected as a Gamesmaker for the Olympics, which start on Friday.
Barbara Smith, who represented Canonbury ward for the Lib Dems for 12 years, will volunteer at the Boxing Arena in the Xcel Centre in east London.
Her duties will include looking after people coming to see the action.
Mrs Smith was one of 70,000 Gamesmakers selected from 250,000 volunteers.
She said: “I am thrilled to have been chosen, when there were so many applicants.
“I am so excited about being part of what will hopefully be one of the greatest sporting events this country has ever seen.”
- 1 'Graffiti vandal' linked with £500k worth of damage caught in Highbury
- 2 Five arrested for drugs offences after dawn raids
- 3 Knifeman was out on bail when he nearly killed father-of-three on school run
- 4 'Fear, isolation and distress': Pentonville Prison during Covid-19
- 5 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 6 'Robot' prisoner locked up indefinitely for killing Serco custody officer
- 7 Travel Bulletin: Islington, Hackney, Newham, Tower Hamlets
- 8 Three jailed after 'horrific' revenge attack on teenage boy near Finsbury Park
- 9 WATCH: Sauna fire rips through Old Street leisure centre
- 10 Murder trial: Accused travelled to London to 'Netflix and chill' with woman