Former Islington mayor is selected as Olympic Gamesmaker
A former Islington Mayor has been selected as a Gamesmaker for the Olympics, which start on Friday.
Barbara Smith, who represented Canonbury ward for the Lib Dems for 12 years, will volunteer at the Boxing Arena in the Xcel Centre in east London.
Her duties will include looking after people coming to see the action.
Mrs Smith was one of 70,000 Gamesmakers selected from 250,000 volunteers.
She said: “I am thrilled to have been chosen, when there were so many applicants.
You may also want to watch:
“I am so excited about being part of what will hopefully be one of the greatest sporting events this country has ever seen.”
- 1 Upper Street flat attack: Man, 58, stabbed in neck and back
- 2 Launch date for Gordon Ramsay's Upper Street burger chain
- 3 Finsbury Park sex assault: Man arrested on suspicion of rape
- 4 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 5 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 6 Survey: Where are the safest and most unsafe where you live?
- 7 Police investigate alleged Finsbury Park rape
- 8 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 9 Jeremy Corbyn echoes Iain Duncan Smith's call to review £1.2bn incinerator plans
- 10 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus