Former Islington mayor is selected as Olympic Gamesmaker
A former Islington Mayor has been selected as a Gamesmaker for the Olympics, which start on Friday.
Barbara Smith, who represented Canonbury ward for the Lib Dems for 12 years, will volunteer at the Boxing Arena in the Xcel Centre in east London.
Her duties will include looking after people coming to see the action.
Mrs Smith was one of 70,000 Gamesmakers selected from 250,000 volunteers.
She said: “I am thrilled to have been chosen, when there were so many applicants.
You may also want to watch:
“I am so excited about being part of what will hopefully be one of the greatest sporting events this country has ever seen.”
- 1 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 2 Archway man jailed after causing 'totally avoidable' crash
- 3 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 4 High Court ruling 'will not directly impact' People Friendly Streets
- 5 Two 16-year-olds charged with murder of Islington student
- 6 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 7 Countryside walking would be lovely - but the city has much to offer
- 8 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham
- 9 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 10 Thousands back petition for exemptions in Highbury People Friendly Streets