Free tennis offered to Islington’s over 60s
- Credit: Archant
Over-60s have been invited to pick up their rackets and enjoy the use of free tennis courts in Islington.
Islington Council is offering free courts to all over-60s, at Highbury Fields and Tufnell Park between 8am and 4pm, Mondays to Fridays, all year round.
Karen Dawson has also been appointed as the new tennis development officer to build on the Olympic legacy and encourage people into sport.
Cllr Janet Burgess, Islington Council’s executive member for health and wellbeing, said: “We want to help our residents lead healthy, active lives, and tennis is a fun, exciting way to keep fit.
“Our offer of free tennis for over-60s will encourage more people to give the game a go, and those who already play tennis will be able to play more often.”
You may also want to watch:
Karen is working with local communities to encourage people to try tennis, especially if they haven’t before.
Anthony Kildare, chief executive of Aquaterra, said: “Supporting residents to improve their quality of life, health, fitness and wellbeing is at the heart of what we do. We’re delighted to see that the new tennis development officer is increasing tennis opportunities for our local community and proud to support free tennis for over-60s.”
- 1 Residents' 'frustration' as Royal Mail works to deliver in lockdown
- 2 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 3 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 4 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school
- 5 Highbury woman launches pen pal initiative to fight lockdown loneliness
- 6 Thames Water faces councillors’ anger over billing changes for tenants
- 7 Islington charity choir smashes fundraising target with help from Brian Eno
- 8 Islington writers among the winners of 2021 awards
- 9 Council tax set to rise amid 'hand-to-mouth' Covid-19 government funding
- 10 Islington dancer recounts apartheid struggles in new book
To book free tennis, over-60s residents need an Izz card and a free online bookings account. To find out how to get an over-60s Izz card, go to www.aquaterra.org/islington/60plus
To book a court, go to www.book.aquaterra.org