Getting Bookish at Finsbury Baths
- Credit: Archant
Getting Bookish at the Baths
The biggest ever book swap in Islington is heading to pools and playgrounds across the borough.
From Finsbury to Archway, people heading to leisure facilities can exchange their favourite reads as part of the initiative from Islington Council.
Book swaps are now available at Ironmonger Row Baths, in Norman Street, Finsbury and Cornwallis Adventure Playground, in Cornwallis Road, Upper Holloway, as well as all the borough’s leisure centres and the Islington Tennis Centre, Market Road, Holloway.
New swaps are planned for Timbuktu Adventure Playground, Grenville Road, Archway and Cape Play and Youth Project, in Crouch Hill, Hornsey Rise, in the near future.
You may also want to watch:
Tollington ward councillors Richard Watts and Fiona Williamson unveiled the book collections with local children at Cornwallis Adventure Playground.
Cllr Watts said: “Getting children into the habit of reading books from a young age helps them to develop essential skills that can be taken from the classroom to the work place.”
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 3 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 4 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 5 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 6 Why Arsenal's Leah Williamson is perfect England captain?
- 7 Islington kids are being 'drawn into county lines drug smuggling'
- 8 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 9 Disused Holloway garages converted into garment-making workspace
- 10 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
“But it’s not just kids that benefit, all our residents old and young alike, can take part, so we’re really pleased to have been able to open this new reading initiative at Cornwallis.”
More about the scheme can be found at: www.islington.gov.uk/bookswaps.