Getting Bookish at Finsbury Baths
- Credit: Archant
Getting Bookish at the Baths
The biggest ever book swap in Islington is heading to pools and playgrounds across the borough.
From Finsbury to Archway, people heading to leisure facilities can exchange their favourite reads as part of the initiative from Islington Council.
Book swaps are now available at Ironmonger Row Baths, in Norman Street, Finsbury and Cornwallis Adventure Playground, in Cornwallis Road, Upper Holloway, as well as all the borough’s leisure centres and the Islington Tennis Centre, Market Road, Holloway.
New swaps are planned for Timbuktu Adventure Playground, Grenville Road, Archway and Cape Play and Youth Project, in Crouch Hill, Hornsey Rise, in the near future.
Tollington ward councillors Richard Watts and Fiona Williamson unveiled the book collections with local children at Cornwallis Adventure Playground.
Cllr Watts said: “Getting children into the habit of reading books from a young age helps them to develop essential skills that can be taken from the classroom to the work place.”
- 1 Met Office: Thunderstorm warning issued for London
- 2 Community bus serving Islington and Hackney cancelled after surging fuel prices
- 3 West Hampstead man fatally stabbed in Ealing
- 4 Teenager arrested in Deshuan Tuitt murder investigation
- 5 Teenage Highbury Fields fatal stabbing victim named by police
- 6 Inside the esports gaming arena coming to Islington's Upper Street
- 7 Landlord who did not provide kitchen for tenant fined £40,000
- 8 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 9 Finsbury Park man due in court charged with pub murder
- 10 Murder investigation after teenager stabbed in Islington park
“But it’s not just kids that benefit, all our residents old and young alike, can take part, so we’re really pleased to have been able to open this new reading initiative at Cornwallis.”
More about the scheme can be found at: www.islington.gov.uk/bookswaps.