Bake Off star Liam Charles opens new playground at Canonbury Primary School
- Credit: Archant
Great British Bake Off star Liam Charles cut the ribbon for the grand opening of Canonbury Primary School’s new playground on Friday.
Parents pitched in to help raise the cash to improve the facilities, with one auction raising £42,000.
Headteacher Patrick Mildren, 50, said: “It’s been mind-blowing – they’re actually enjoying it more than I could have possibly imagined.”
He said: “It is a physical manifestation of the spirit of the school because we couldn’t have done it without the parents, the PTA’s money, the foundation’s money and without the school budgets”.
Cllr Caroline Russell stopped by at the unveiling.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “It just feels like a complete haven.
“It’s got all these things for the children to play on and it’s just wonderful.”
- 1 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 2 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 3 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 4 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 5 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 6 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 7 Summer in the city: 5 Things to do in Islington this weekend
- 8 Statue to street cat Bob unveiled in Islington Green
- 9 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 10 Callum Chambers could be Arsenal's starting right-back
Pupils Cecilia Bird and Evelyn Cowhig, both nine, said their new playground was “the best thing ever”.