Bake Off star Liam Charles opens new playground at Canonbury Primary School
- Credit: Archant
Great British Bake Off star Liam Charles cut the ribbon for the grand opening of Canonbury Primary School’s new playground on Friday.
Parents pitched in to help raise the cash to improve the facilities, with one auction raising £42,000.
Headteacher Patrick Mildren, 50, said: “It’s been mind-blowing – they’re actually enjoying it more than I could have possibly imagined.”
He said: “It is a physical manifestation of the spirit of the school because we couldn’t have done it without the parents, the PTA’s money, the foundation’s money and without the school budgets”.
Cllr Caroline Russell stopped by at the unveiling.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “It just feels like a complete haven.
“It’s got all these things for the children to play on and it’s just wonderful.”
- 1 Arsenal Women on cloud nine after big FA Cup win
- 2 Reader letters: Islington's Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - for and against
- 3 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 4 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 5 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 6 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 7 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 8 Islington Council set to save Grade II-listed South Library from disrepair
- 9 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 10 Islington mum speaks out about blaze that wrecked her 17th storey Old Street flat
Pupils Cecilia Bird and Evelyn Cowhig, both nine, said their new playground was “the best thing ever”.