Gruffalo writer to perform at Sadler’s Wells
It’s a tale that has delighted millions of youngsters at bed-time and is a mainstay of the Christmas schedules.
Now The Gruffalo will be brought to life on the stage in a series of musical shows at Sadler’s Wells Theatre, in Rosebery Avenue, Finsbury.
The author, Children’s Laureate Julia Donaldson, will take centre stage to lead the performances, featuring songs and an appearance from the fearsome beast.
She said: “I was a songwriter for children’s TV programmes a long time before I wrote books. I still love writing music and I have songs for most of my picture books.
“I have had three song books published now and I thought it would be a great idea to do a stage show of the songs. We will get children on stage and have a lot of interaction. We’re also going to act out The Gruffalo and The Gruffalo’s Child.”
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Donaldson will be joined by her husband and a live band to lead a sing-along of tunes from her latest song book, The Gruffalo’s Child and Other Songs.
Meanwhile, the celebrated writer will be stopping in at Drayton Park Primary School in Arvon Road, Highbury, tomorrow, ahead of National Libraries Day on Saturday.
- 1 Arsenal Women on cloud nine after big FA Cup win
- 2 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 3 Reader letters: Islington's Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - for and against
- 4 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 5 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 6 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 7 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 8 Islington Council set to save Grade II-listed South Library from disrepair
- 9 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 10 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
The pupils have been studying Mrs Donaldson’s work and have penned their own song from one of her stories.
The Gruffalo’s Sing-along is at Sadler’s Wells on February 11 and 12. For information or tickets visit bit.ly/GruffaloSingalong or call 0844 412 4300.