Gruffalo writer to perform at Sadler’s Wells
It’s a tale that has delighted millions of youngsters at bed-time and is a mainstay of the Christmas schedules.
Now The Gruffalo will be brought to life on the stage in a series of musical shows at Sadler’s Wells Theatre, in Rosebery Avenue, Finsbury.
The author, Children’s Laureate Julia Donaldson, will take centre stage to lead the performances, featuring songs and an appearance from the fearsome beast.
She said: “I was a songwriter for children’s TV programmes a long time before I wrote books. I still love writing music and I have songs for most of my picture books.
“I have had three song books published now and I thought it would be a great idea to do a stage show of the songs. We will get children on stage and have a lot of interaction. We’re also going to act out The Gruffalo and The Gruffalo’s Child.”
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Donaldson will be joined by her husband and a live band to lead a sing-along of tunes from her latest song book, The Gruffalo’s Child and Other Songs.
Meanwhile, the celebrated writer will be stopping in at Drayton Park Primary School in Arvon Road, Highbury, tomorrow, ahead of National Libraries Day on Saturday.
- 1 Dangerous driving complaints spur Holloway right-turn bans
- 2 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney
- 3 More than 1,000 knives surrendered in Islington’s knife bins
- 4 Former Islington BC Slavisa Gegic fighter visits his old club
- 5 Emirates pop-up Covid-19 vaccine clinic opens for a second time
- 6 Escape in Islington this weekend: Lovely food and great new shows
- 7 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 8 Covid-19 cases start to drop off in Islington
- 9 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 10 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
The pupils have been studying Mrs Donaldson’s work and have penned their own song from one of her stories.
The Gruffalo’s Sing-along is at Sadler’s Wells on February 11 and 12. For information or tickets visit bit.ly/GruffaloSingalong or call 0844 412 4300.