Holloway children to perform with top opera stars
Children will join some of the UK’s biggest classical music artists for an opera performance on Sunday.
The concert, at St Luke’s Church in Hillmarton Road, Holloway, will see pupils from St Mary Magdalene Academy, Liverpool Road, and the adult community choir Vox Holloway join stars of the opera world, including tenor Mark Le Brocq, on stage.
They will perform the opera Thecla, composed by renowned British musician Harvey Brough, who will also conduct the concert.
He said: “In Hackney you had Plan B working with teenagers for Radio One’s Big Weekend.
‘‘Here in Holloway we’ve got professional classical musicians working with 50 children and an amateur choir to put on the biggest concert north Holloway will see this year.
You may also want to watch:
“The kids are doing really well. I’m impressed. They are focused, keen and, most importantly, practising.”
Thecla tells the story of a woman living in biblical times who refuses to conform to society ideals and follows her own dreams.
- 1 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 2 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school
- 3 Thames Water faces councillors’ anger over billing changes for tenants
- 4 Islington writers among the winners of 2021 awards
- 5 Arsenal column: Granit Xhaka the stand out performer since Boxing Day but some of his senior professionals continue to disappoint
- 6 Police search for suspects after teen stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 7 Islington charity choir smashes fundraising target with help from Brian Eno
- 8 Spot tiny art 'gems' along The Parkland Walk
- 9 E-fit appeal after teen partially blinded in Canonbury Road baton attack
- 10 Author inspired by Highbury for debut sci-fi novel about aliens
Doors open at 7pm. Tickets are �15, from 07970 785 641 or email@example.com.