Holloway children to perform with top opera stars
Children will join some of the UK’s biggest classical music artists for an opera performance on Sunday.
The concert, at St Luke’s Church in Hillmarton Road, Holloway, will see pupils from St Mary Magdalene Academy, Liverpool Road, and the adult community choir Vox Holloway join stars of the opera world, including tenor Mark Le Brocq, on stage.
They will perform the opera Thecla, composed by renowned British musician Harvey Brough, who will also conduct the concert.
He said: “In Hackney you had Plan B working with teenagers for Radio One’s Big Weekend.
‘‘Here in Holloway we’ve got professional classical musicians working with 50 children and an amateur choir to put on the biggest concert north Holloway will see this year.
“The kids are doing really well. I’m impressed. They are focused, keen and, most importantly, practising.”
Thecla tells the story of a woman living in biblical times who refuses to conform to society ideals and follows her own dreams.
- 1 Siblings open community-oriented park coffee hut
- 2 Old Bailey: Pair enter pleas over Alex Smith murder
- 3 Homes under the Planner: Schemes submitted or approved in Islington in June
- 4 Islington men charged after jewellery store robbery
- 5 Man charged with 1974 murder of woman found in Highbury
- 6 Karate champion helps children to build confidence through martial arts
- 7 New Aldi on Old Street to open this month
- 8 CCTV: Woman sexually assaulted at Highbury & Islington station
- 9 Husband granted right to use late wife's embryo for surrogacy
- 10 'Barbecue-inspired' meat-free summer menu at cycling cafe
Doors open at 7pm. Tickets are �15, from 07970 785 641 or firstname.lastname@example.org.