Holloway School gets Olympic recognition
HOLLOWAY School has been awarded membership of London 2012’s Get Set network as recognition of its commitment to Olympic values.
The school, in Hilldrop Road, Holloway, was awarded a plaque and a certificate to acknowledge its involvement in the London 2012 education programme, organised by the London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games (LOCOG).
Students and staff have used the message of the Olympics to launch cross-curricular projects and competitions, a new school sports council, and the initiation of student “Olympic ambassadors”.
Lord Sebastian Coe, chairman of LOCOG, said: “I am proud to welcome Holloway School into the Get Set network for their exciting work around the Olympic values of friendship, excellence and respect and the Paralympic values of inspiration, courage, determination and equality.”
Bob Hamlyn, head teacher of Holloway School, said: “As a Specialist Sports College we are really proud to be part of this programme. The Olympics and Paralympics epitomise some of our own key messages to students - participation, striving for excellence, and the celebration of a diverse community. Our Olympic ambassadors are great role models for other students, and are keen to roll out the Olympic message.”
You may also want to watch:
Students at Holloway will now receive access to exclusive competitions and opportunities associated with the London 2012 Games.
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 3 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 4 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 5 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 6 New pub opens in place of The Monarch in Chalk Farm Road
- 7 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 8 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 9 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 10 Statue to street cat Bob unveiled in Islington Green