Islington free school will focus on maths, finance and creativity
- Credit: Archant
Consolations are taking place on a free school proposed to open in Islington in 2017, with a focus on maths, finance and creativity as its main ethos.
The proposed location for The City of London Primary Academy Islington (COLPAI) is close to the Golden Lane Estate in south Islington.
So far three consultations on the proposal have taken place, with the most recent one having been extended until the 18th of September to give people in the community a chance to provide feedback, including education workers who may have been away during the school summer holidays.
Gerald Mehrtens, who leads on the Academies Expansion Programme for the City of London Corporation said: “The ethos to focus on maths and finance is due to the City’s strong relationships with world-leading financial services organisations, who will be able to share their business expertise in mentoring the pupils.
“This early insight into the world of business will help the pupils build confidence and develop employability and life skills that will bolster their academic studies and benefit them in the future.”
You may also want to watch:
The school is being proposed as part of a new development to provide social housing units and a school on a site in south Islington, and will draw on relationships with businesses in the local area to inform its students’ learning. These institutions include the Barican Centre and Museum of London.
Mr Mehrtens added: “Creativity and creative thinking are fundamental to the future economic wellbeing of our city and our nation, and that the creative arts, music, drama, dance are essential development for the children of Islington.
- 1 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 2 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 7 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 8 Islington district suffer heavy defeat to Greenwich in Lester Finch Trophy
- 9 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 10 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
“Although maths, finance and creativity will be the school’s strengthens, pupils will be offered a broad and well-rounded curriculum.“
COLPAI will be a non selective and fully inclusive school, providing places for the local community.
The school will initially open with two classes of 30 in the Reception year and will grow to reach its full capacity of 420 pupils in 2023
People can give their views by going to www.surveymonkey.com/r/colpai.