Islington primary schools best ever results
Islington’s primary school children can take a bow after achieving the best
Islington’s primary school children can take a bow after achieving the best key stage two results in the borough’s history.
Provisional Department for Education figures for 2011 show that 74 per cent of pupils gained level four or higher in the English and maths tests taken by year six.
For English, 80 per cent of children reached level four or above, one point better than last year, and in maths the success rate was also 80 per cent, the same as last year.
Worthy of special mentions are Gillespie School, in Gillespie Road and St John’s Highbury Vale School, in Conewood Street, both in Highbury, and Yerbury School, in Foxbury Road, Upper Holloway, where 100 per cent of pupils reached level four in English and maths.
You may also want to watch:
Copenhagen Primary School, in Treaty Street, Islington, Hungerford Primary School, in Hungerford Road, Holloway and St Mary’s C of E Primary School, in Fowler Road, Islington, are noteworthy for improving most out of all schools in the borough.
Eleanor Schooling, Islington Council’s corporate director of children’s services, said: “Islington’s children deserve the best and these results demonstrate the excellent progress that they have made. Our primary schools are as good if not better than most schools in the country. It’s good news for parents and means more children are now entering secondary school ready for the challenges ahead.”
- 1 Arsenal Women on cloud nine after big FA Cup win
- 2 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 3 Reader letters: Islington's Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - for and against
- 4 New nightclub Glam to open in Shoreditch in June
- 5 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 6 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 7 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 8 Charity launches new campaign to eradicate food poverty in north London
- 9 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 10 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington