Islington youth locked up for masked baseball bat attack at Tube station

A teenage thug from Islington who took part in a vicious gang attack on another teenager has been locked up for three years.

The 15-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was part of a masked gang of youths who attacked a 15-year-old with a baseball bat and five crutches at Hendon Central Tube station last November.

He was sentenced to three years detention in a young offenders institute at Wood Green Youth Court yesterday (Thursday December 20) after being convicted in November of causing GBH with intent for his part in the violence.

The victim, now 16, who also cannot be named, was leaving the station when he was confronted with the menacing sight of around 15 youths with bandanas over their faces bearing down on him.

He tried to run away, but some of the gang caught up and surrounded him before launching their brutal assault.

They struck his head with crutches and continued to pile in with blows after he fell to the floor. He suffered injuries to his head and a wound to his right thigh, although he has now made a full recovery.

Two further 15-year-olds, from Camden and Haringey, were sentenced to three years after being found guilty of the same charge, while another boy, a 16-year-old from Haringey, received two years and six months detention after he admitted his involvement.

Most Read

The investigation officer Det Con Eloise Lock, of British Transport Police (BTP), said: “This was a violent attack by a number of youths on one boy, who was lucky his injuries were not more severe.

“I hope the sentences handed down to these four youths sends out a clear message that BTP takes incidents like this very seriously and anyone caught carrying a weapon will be arrested and prosecuted.”

Howard Collins, chief operating officer for London Underground, said: “Any assault on our customers, especially a violent one, is a terrible incident and we are naturally pleased that these criminals are now serving time for their actions.”