Knighthood for leader of City University in Finsbury
- Credit: Archant
The vice-chancellor of City University London, in Finsbury, has been awarded a knighthood in the new year honours list.
Prof Paul Curran has been recognised for his achievements in higher education.
Colleagues said he has “transformed” the university, in Northampton Square.
Prof Curran said last night: “This is a great honour, not only for me but for all of City’s staff, students, alumni, partners and friends.
“It is a daily privilege to lead such a strong and distinctive global institution.
You may also want to watch:
“A knighthood is an amazing and a profoundly humbling surprise.”
Rob Woodward, pro-chancellor of the university, said: “City University London is being transformed under Professor Curran’s leadership.
- 1 Former election candidate convicted of having a knife in public
- 2 Letter: 'Highbury Corner is unsafe and unhealthy for pedestrians'
- 3 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 4 Jailed: Man who nearly killed woman in ‘random’ Islington attack
- 5 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 6 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 9 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 10 Guilty: MP Claudia Webbe harassed her partner's female friend, magistrate rules
“In the past few years we have doubled the proportion of our staff producing world-leading and internationally excellent research, modernised our estate and increased the satisfaction of our students by more than any other university in the country.”
Prof Curran was a pioneer in satellite Earth observation as a NASA research scientist, an academic geographer and an advisor to the European Space Agency.
He served as a member of the Natural Environment Research Council and is a former chairman of the Higher Education Funding Council.
Prof Curran is currently president of the Remote Sensing & Photogrammetry Society and chairman of the Pay Review Body for Doctors & Dentists, the Universities & Colleges Employers’ Association and The Conversation UK.