Larry Lamb lights up Islington
Christmas came to Islington in style this weekend as two of the borough’s busiest shopping areas had their festive lights switched on.
The roads around Archway and Islington High Street were full of Christmas cheers as �people came in droves to enjoy the festive fun and games.
In Islington on Saturday, EastEnders and Gavin and Stacey star Larry Lamb came to get the �party started.
After switching on the lights for the N1 Centre, in Parkfield Street, Camden Passage and �Islington Green, he announced the winner of a hamper of luxury food drink in the Youthnet charity raffle.
Meanwhile, in Archway on Friday the lights were turned on by An�is Higgins, a pupil from St John’s Upper Holloway Primary School, in Pemberton Gardens, winner of a recent Christmas poster competition, Cllr Catherine West, leader of Islington Council and Cllr Phil Kelly, Mayor of Islington.
You may also want to watch:
Then on Saturday characters from yuletide show The Enourmous Turnip performed, and revellers enjoyed face-painting, balloon-modelling and magic.
- 1 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 2 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 3 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 4 Clerkenwell fire: Margery Street office block blaze under investigation
- 5 Run Kids Run: Huge fun run raises £40,000 for Islington primary schools
- 6 Finsbury Park house to be transformed for ‘Halloween experience’
- 7 'Help! I found a lizard in my luggage after my holiday'
- 8 Tree wardens to be recruited on every Islington estate 'to advocate for trees'
- 9 Stunning photos show how King's Cross has changed in 20 years
- 10 Helen Anderson: CCTV appeal to trace witnesses to Finsbury Park mum's murder