Larry Lamb lights up Islington
Christmas came to Islington in style this weekend as two of the borough’s busiest shopping areas had their festive lights switched on.
The roads around Archway and Islington High Street were full of Christmas cheers as �people came in droves to enjoy the festive fun and games.
In Islington on Saturday, EastEnders and Gavin and Stacey star Larry Lamb came to get the �party started.
After switching on the lights for the N1 Centre, in Parkfield Street, Camden Passage and �Islington Green, he announced the winner of a hamper of luxury food drink in the Youthnet charity raffle.
Meanwhile, in Archway on Friday the lights were turned on by An�is Higgins, a pupil from St John’s Upper Holloway Primary School, in Pemberton Gardens, winner of a recent Christmas poster competition, Cllr Catherine West, leader of Islington Council and Cllr Phil Kelly, Mayor of Islington.
You may also want to watch:
Then on Saturday characters from yuletide show The Enourmous Turnip performed, and revellers enjoyed face-painting, balloon-modelling and magic.
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 3 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 4 Islington and Camden police chief to leave Met after 29 years
- 5 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 6 Two Tube lines closed after 10pm as TfL staff isolate due to Covid
- 7 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 8 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 9 Almost 5,000 Islington people pinged by Covid app in one week
- 10 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans