Michelle Obama back to continue special relationship with Islington school
The special relationship between Michelle Obama and Elizabeth Garrett Anderson School (EGA) school is set to continue next week - when the American first lady takes pupils from the Islington secondary on a visit to Oxford University.
Ms Obama sparked a frenzy at the all-girls school in Risinghill Street, Islington, in 2009 when she spoke about the importance of education, explained why being smart is cool and even shared a little girl talk about her courtship with husband President Barack.
Now she is on he way back to Britain, and next Wednesday she will take 35 students from her favourite British school for a day-long “immersion experience” at the University of Oxford.
The EGA pupils will enjoy campus tours, career discussions and mentoring sessions with current students to learn about the university experience and encourage them to pursue higher education.
The day will conclude with a question and answer session with Ms Obama herself.
You may also want to watch:
On her last visit to EGA, Ms Obama spoke about her own experience growing up in a working class neighbourhood in Chicago and encouraged the pupils to “learn, achieve, discover and perform without limits.”
After the visit she invited a pupil from every secondary school in Islington to the White House in February, and later that year Ms Obama sent a letter to EGA congratulating the students on their improved GCSE results.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 6 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 7 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 8 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 Covid delays Finsbury Park murder suspect's bail hearing
EGA was named after the first woman to gain a medical qualification in the United Kingdom. More than 60 percent of EGA’s students do not speak English as a first language.