Mildmay Park teen Katie scoops £3k bursary to make documentaries at uni
- Credit: Archant
An Islington teenager whose dream is to make documentaries has been awarded a bursary to study television production at Bournemouth University.
Katie Brown, who lives in Mildmay Park, will get £1,000 a year from the Royal Television Society to help pay her way through uni.
The charity boosts diversity on media courses by handing out grants to those who would otherwise struggle to pay for higher education.
The grant scheme offers 20 bursaries for television production and broadcast journalism students and seven for computing and engineering undergraduates.
Katie, 18, said: “I have really been enjoying my course so far.
You may also want to watch:
“We have been making and shooting two-minute videos on the subject of identity, and editing them as a group. I love watching documentaries on Netflix so in the future it would be amazing to be involved in creating one.”
She added: “I want to thank everyone at the society for granting me the bursary and the chance to study at Bournemouth.”
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 3 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 4 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 5 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 6 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 7 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
- 8 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 9 Jungle Cruise (12A)
- 10 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
During her studies, Katie will also receive free membership of the society and The Hospital Club – a private members’ club for people in the creative industries.
And she’ll get a year’s free membership of the society after she graduates.
Society chief exec Theresa Wise said: “Since its launch in 2014 the society has been committed to supporting UK undergraduates seeking to work in television and its related fields.”
Find out more at rts.org.uk