Ofsted praise Moreland Primary School after merger
Ofsted says a struggling primary school has enjoyed a turnaround in fortunes after joining forces with another school.
Moreland Primary School, off Goswell Road in Finsbury, which in July merged with St Luke’s School in Radnor Street, Finsbury, has now been praised in an Ofsted inspection.
The schools share a governing body and the same head teacher Ann Dwulit.
Moreland had been under subscribed before the federation and was judged by Ofsted in November last year to be making inadequate progress.
Ofsted inspector Babara Firth, who visited for two days in October, said: “There has now been a transformation in governance and the executive head teacher has brought exceptional leadership.
You may also want to watch:
“In a short time, she has motivated teachers and pupils so that the school is now positive about its future.”
Ms Firth reported that the quality of teaching and pupils’ progress is improving.
- 1 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 2 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school
- 3 Thames Water faces councillors’ anger over billing changes for tenants
- 4 Islington writers among the winners of 2021 awards
- 5 Arsenal column: Granit Xhaka the stand out performer since Boxing Day but some of his senior professionals continue to disappoint
- 6 Police search for suspects after teen stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 7 Islington charity choir smashes fundraising target with help from Brian Eno
- 8 Spot tiny art 'gems' along The Parkland Walk
- 9 E-fit appeal after teen partially blinded in Canonbury Road baton attack
- 10 Author inspired by Highbury for debut sci-fi novel about aliens
Executive head teacher Ann Dwulit said: “Staff, governors, parents and children are encouraged by the recent Ofsted report. The federation has had a positive impact upon outcomes for the children of Moreland at every level.”
Cllr Richard Watts, executive member for children and young people, said: ”I am delighted with the progress Moreland has made. This is an excellent example of how Islington Council sees the future for our schools – sharing expertise, best practice and working closely together as a community of schools.”
Plans are underway to revamp the Moreland Primary School building with a development which will include social housing.