Old Street student halls to house Olympic officials
Islington is to house hundreds of Olympic officials next summer.
A student halls of residence Canto Court in Old Street, Finsbury Park, is one of four venues in the borough which will be turned into temporary hostels for Olympic staff as property owners cash-in.
At a meeting on Thursday, members of the Islington Council planning committee approved an application from Unite Plc to temporarily change the use of the building between July 12 and September 9 next year for members of the Olympic and Paralympic committees.
Rooms in Canto Court, an eight-storey block offering 164 bedsits, cost �314 a week and include en suite bathroom. It will revert back to student accommodation after the Olympics.
The three other venues are Picadilly Court in Caledonian Road, Islington, Wedgwood Court in Holloway Road, Holloway and Charles Morton Court in Green Lanes, Newington Green.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Paul Convery, the council executive member for regeneration, planning and transport, said such use of student accommodation made sense and will benefit the local economy.
“Islington Council is 100 per cent behind the Olympics and we will have more exciting news over the next six months about how residents can get involved,” he added.
- 1 Jailed: Man who nearly killed woman in ‘random’ Islington attack
- 2 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 3 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 4 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 5 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 6 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 7 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 8 'Exceptional' heroes granted Islington's highest award, the 'Freedom of the Borough'
- 9 Tree wardens to be recruited on every Islington estate 'to advocate for trees'
- 10 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
The Business Design Centre in Upper Street, Islington, will become a base for the Czech Republic Olympic committee and stage various events promoting the country between July 27 and August 12.
The exhibition complex plans to showcase Czech theatre, dancing and music performances and also offer a restaurant, a merchandising area, a media house and a large Olympic screen.