Parent labels City of London Academy Highbury Grove’s uniform policy ‘farcical’ after daughter sent home
- Credit: Archant
A parent has labelled the new uniform policy at Highbury Grove School “farcical” after his teenage daughter was sent home on the first day of term for not bringing a bag.
Daniel Culver’s daughter arrived at school on Friday to begin her Year 13 studies, but was told she needed to be carrying a rucksack with City of London Academy Highbury Grove branding on it. Her coat was also against regulations because it did not have the logo and name.
Last week saw the beginning of life at Highbury Grove under the stewardship of the City of London Academy Trust, which took over the reins after a bleak Ofsted left the secondary in special measures in February.
Daniel told the Gazette students were lined up and inspected before entering the school, with several falling foul of the school’s uniform policy or being told their hairstyles weren’t allowed.
“My daughter is a good student who has been at the school a lot longer than the academy trust,” he said, “but she was turned away for the sake of a school badge. Surely her education is more important than a badge?”
You may also want to watch:
The sixth former then discovered over the weekend that Rough Cut Casuals – the uniform shop in Chapel Market where you can buy the branded kit – had run out of the bag she needed.
Daniel added: “My daughter was allowed back into school on Monday, but she didn’t have the timetable she should have received on Friday. It’s been an upsetting experience for her. The situation is ridiculous.”
- 1 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 2 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 3 Launch date for Gordon Ramsay's Upper Street burger chain
- 4 Letters: Fighting to keep Wray Crescent Park available to all
- 5 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhood scheme
- 6 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 7 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
- 8 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 9 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 10 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
Parents at Highbury Grove were told about the school’s uniform policy for this term in June. The policy – which parents signed and returned to the school – makes it clear the academy rucksack and “outdoor coat” are compulsory and states: “If students are not in full uniform, they will not be able to attend lessons”.
An academy spokesman said: “We are committed to the students in the school meeting the highest standards which includes being properly prepared.
“We know this is an essential part of developing a high-expectation school culture, which drives improvement and attainment.”