Parent labels City of London Academy Highbury Grove’s uniform policy ‘farcical’ after daughter sent home
- Credit: Archant
A parent has labelled the new uniform policy at Highbury Grove School “farcical” after his teenage daughter was sent home on the first day of term for not bringing a bag.
Daniel Culver’s daughter arrived at school on Friday to begin her Year 13 studies, but was told she needed to be carrying a rucksack with City of London Academy Highbury Grove branding on it. Her coat was also against regulations because it did not have the logo and name.
Last week saw the beginning of life at Highbury Grove under the stewardship of the City of London Academy Trust, which took over the reins after a bleak Ofsted left the secondary in special measures in February.
Daniel told the Gazette students were lined up and inspected before entering the school, with several falling foul of the school’s uniform policy or being told their hairstyles weren’t allowed.
“My daughter is a good student who has been at the school a lot longer than the academy trust,” he said, “but she was turned away for the sake of a school badge. Surely her education is more important than a badge?”
You may also want to watch:
The sixth former then discovered over the weekend that Rough Cut Casuals – the uniform shop in Chapel Market where you can buy the branded kit – had run out of the bag she needed.
Daniel added: “My daughter was allowed back into school on Monday, but she didn’t have the timetable she should have received on Friday. It’s been an upsetting experience for her. The situation is ridiculous.”
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 5 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 8 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 9 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 10 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
Parents at Highbury Grove were told about the school’s uniform policy for this term in June. The policy – which parents signed and returned to the school – makes it clear the academy rucksack and “outdoor coat” are compulsory and states: “If students are not in full uniform, they will not be able to attend lessons”.
An academy spokesman said: “We are committed to the students in the school meeting the highest standards which includes being properly prepared.
“We know this is an essential part of developing a high-expectation school culture, which drives improvement and attainment.”