Police hunt arsonists after Highbury Turkish centre attack
A Turkish community centre was the victim of an arson attack on Saturday, police say.
The Islamic Community Milli Gorus, in Highbury New Park, Highbury, was open when a Molotov cocktail was thrown through a window.
Selma Yilmaz, who works at the centre, said: “A bottle of fire smashed through the window. There were about seven or eight people in here when it happened, but it was a small fire so it wasn’t too bad.”
Three fire engines rushed to the scene at around 1.30am from Holloway and Stoke Newington stations.
The flames caused little damage, but fire investigators were called to work with police and find out the cause.
You may also want to watch:
The fire is being treated as suspicious and investigations are ongoing.
- 1 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 2 Police search for suspects after teen stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 3 Council tax set to rise amid 'hand-to-mouth' Covid-19 government funding
- 4 Student on 'emotional' first day giving Covid jab to NHS workers
- 5 Man left partially blind after Islington robbery
- 6 Call for tech donations to tackle digital divide in students
- 7 E-fit appeal after teen partially blinded in Canonbury Road baton attack
- 8 Royal Mail 'working hard' but Islington residents report ongoing delays
- 9 Did Islington house prices rise by 13% in 2020?
- 10 Corporation Street fight: Boy, 15, stabbed in the face in the Cally