Police hunt arsonists after Highbury Turkish centre attack
A Turkish community centre was the victim of an arson attack on Saturday, police say.
The Islamic Community Milli Gorus, in Highbury New Park, Highbury, was open when a Molotov cocktail was thrown through a window.
Selma Yilmaz, who works at the centre, said: “A bottle of fire smashed through the window. There were about seven or eight people in here when it happened, but it was a small fire so it wasn’t too bad.”
Three fire engines rushed to the scene at around 1.30am from Holloway and Stoke Newington stations.
The flames caused little damage, but fire investigators were called to work with police and find out the cause.
You may also want to watch:
The fire is being treated as suspicious and investigations are ongoing.
- 1 Arsenal Women on cloud nine after big FA Cup win
- 2 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 3 Reader letters: Islington's Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - for and against
- 4 New nightclub Glam to open in Shoreditch in June
- 5 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 6 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 7 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 8 Charity launches new campaign to eradicate food poverty in north London
- 9 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 10 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington