Scheme launches building careers of dozen learners from minority ethnic backgrounds in Finsbury Park
- Credit: Archant
A scheme to boost the skills of people from black and minority ethnic backgrounds has set the foundation of 12 adult learners’ building careers.
The course was put on by Islington Council and Muslim Welfare House in a bid to provide people living in Finsbury Park with job opportunities – particularly on nearby construction sites.
Speaking at the ceremony, Abdulhakim Abdullahi, who lives in Finsbury Park and successfully completed the construction skills certificate scheme, said: “Opportunities like this are hard to come by.
“Getting my qualification helped me progress and I’m sure it will do the same for the people who have graduated today.
“I was glad to be able to share my experience with them.”
You may also want to watch:
The learners received their awards from the council’s economic development chief, Cllr Asima Shaikh, at the Muslim Welfare House in Seven Sisters Road, in front of family and friends.
Cllr Shaikh said: “Congratulations to all those who received an award, which serves not only as a testament to their hard work but also as a strong first step towards a career in construction.
- 1 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 2 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 3 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 4 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 5 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 6 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 7 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 8 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 9 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 10 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
“For some, completing a course with us could help them into the job they’ve always wanted.”
Two of the graduates are already in employment while the council’s iWork and youth employment team are supporting the others to find jobs in the borough.
To enrol on our the course e-mail iWork@islington.gov.uk or YouthEmploymentTeam@islington.gov.uk.